Photo

Time to sell...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sliknik

sliknik
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 14:53

Hi I started my web design business back in 1999 and entered at the time of the internet bubble. I did it so that I could spend more time with my family of 5 kids. I wanted to be there for them rather than be a distant workaholic dad. So my business has mainly consisted of me freelancing. I got a lot of business through referral and word of mouth over the years. I have got to make or break point and if I want to continue I need to boost my customer base. I have a really high closure rate when selling from a referral and have presented to businesses of all sizes at board level with out a problem. I have just redesigned my website www.alchemymarketing.co.uk and am about to get grafting.

I am planning logo out and knock some doors and do some telesales - just wondered if anyone was getting any success with these basic approaches I need to bring in between 5 and 10k in sales per month.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. 

thanks

Nick

#2 TheLonelyPixel

TheLonelyPixel
  • Sweetcheeks
  • Princess Peach
  • 857 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 15:17

Hi Nick, 

Door knocking and telesales won't do shit, most people hate cold calling so it's not the best way to get potential clients on your side. Email marketing has been shown to get pretty good results but only if you come up with a decent enough campaign (simply sending emails saying give me work won't work). 

Honestly if you're looking to get more digital work I've got two pieces of advice for you

1) Ditch the premium theme, if you can't come up with a unique website for your own site how are clients going to have confidence you can do it for them?

2) Up your game, it's admirable that you've been building websites since the beginning but honestly, your design style and quality of code haven't moved on and everything in your portfolio looks really dated. 

Reach out to other agencies in the area and see if they can get you feeding in some regular work, apart from that the usual maintenance contracts / hosting can help bring you in a steadier income when things go quiet. 

Good luck

Chris

The Lonely Pixel - Freelance Web Designer

#3 sliknik

sliknik
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 15:26

Thanks for your feedback Chris, my site is not using a premium theme I just use divi for the structural the design etc is my own work

#4 Lewwy

Lewwy
  • Global Mod
  • Mr. T
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 15:57

I think what TheLonelyPixel is getting at, is the Divi theme is providing a false sense of your style.

If someone was to hire you based on how good your website is, they might not get the same level of expertise as your website leads them to believe. 

I know I couldn't create a theme like Divi from scratch, but I wouldn't confuse potential customers by using it.

Also, why is my profile picture a seahorse please?

#5 sliknik

sliknik
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 15:59

Thanks for your feedback creative ammo - also like your seahorse!!

#6 brightonmike

brightonmike
  • Global Mod
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 16:00

Divi is a premium theme. You didn't design and build the theme yourself - you used a drag and drop tool to do it for you. So why would anyone pay you, to do something that you can't even do for yourself? It makes no sense. It's like a builder showing off his skills using a prefab home.

Your site lacks professionalism and personality. If you go on the about page, there's nothing that shows me you're a real company. No faces, no people - but weirdly, a picture of a shirt and tie. It makes no sense and it doesn't look legitimate.

I would not go cold calling or contacting people off the cuff. They don't like that. Be smarter, network in a softly softly manner without doing a hard sell. If people like your work and style, they'll come to you. If they don't....might be time to really look hard at your website.

Honestly - look at TLPs website, or Ryans website, or the websites of the agencies that myself and others work for. They are all head and shoulders above, and if you want 5-10k in sales a month, that's where you need to be.

http://michaelgunner.co.uk/

Awesome free web meet up in Surrey: http://418conf.co.uk/

#7 DigitalSquid

DigitalSquid
  • Overlord
  • Squidministrator
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 16:19

TLP - https://www.thelonelypixel.co.uk
Ryan - https://ryangittings.co.uk

There are 2 sites Mike was referring to. I would heartliy recommend emulating and learning from what they're doing. They're both amazing web designers, both sitting on the first page of Google for some seriously competitive terms like "freelance web designer". They know is their stuff

Also, I thoroughly recommend all nautical themed profile pictures

More than happy to help for free but if you want to show some love back, either give me an up-vote or buy me a beer!beer.png

www.digitalsquid.net
@Digital_Squid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users