6 replies to this topic

#1 CraigP

CraigP
  • Supporter+
  • Mike's BFF
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:01

Hey Guys, 

A few weeks ago I posted in supporter chat about the appalling delivery of our new business website, over the last couple weeks we rebuilt it using a similar design but not built onto a theme, 

I'm looking for some really in-depth feedback; bugs, spelling, design, functionality, it would be great if you could offer your input.

www.purple-halo.com

Cheers

C

Push24 Creative - it's just who we are and what we do!
Get in Touch - craig@Push24Creative.co.uk

Follow Me - @craigpettit12 - @Push24Creative
+1 to those who help

#2 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,644 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 20:26

First thing I notice is the hero image. Is this to be replaced with something more relevant? Currently it's just some random bints boat.

I'd make the logo in the header smaller too. Currently it shouts in your face when you visit.

#3 Scott

Scott
  • Global Mod
  • Table-Master
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 21:51

^^ That.

Plus, I'd suggest adding a "scroll to top" option considering you don't have a floating menu - and people are lazy. They hate having to manually scroll up to reach a menu.

And maybe add a mouse-over state to the header logo, just for consistency.

I like the colour scheme.

My brain hurts too much to spell check it right now, but if nobody beats me to it, I'll take a look tomorrow.

#4 DigitalSquid

DigitalSquid
  • Overlord
  • Squidministrator
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 23:04

It's definitely better than the old version you showed us a few weeks back. It's got a much better colour palette, a more professional feel and a cleaner, simpler design. However, feedback is always subjective and there are a few things that I don't like about it.

Your logo is lazy. The quirk over the "o" for the brand is nice but apart from that it's just some weirdly spaced out capital letters in a boring font that doesn't really suit or compliment the rest of the site; everything else is title case with no spacing. It sort of detracts from the "professionalism" theme of the site.

The purple/grey colour scheme is good but there's waaaaay to much grey in the header. It's bland and boring. I'd consider inverting the colours on the top bar so it's purple, not grey to inject a bit more life and vibrancy into the site. Or at the very least adding a 10px purple key line to the top of page. Anything to make it less grey.

The full-screen head shot doesn't work for me. It implies nothing about recruitment, trust, customer service, etc... (any of the qualities you seem to be aiming for). It's the sort of image I'd expect to see on a poncy high street fashion website. In fact, if you look at it on a mobile, it's reminiscent of the full screen pictures you get on dating apps. It's also a little eerie on the actual job pages, there's just a pair of eyes staring at you from the top of the page.  I'd look to replace it with a more suitable image for your industry.

Also, it seems that there's a lot of white space in the header just to make that particular image work. That's prime real estate that you're wasting. Most other recruitment sites have a big search box there (instead of being a tiny little bar, tucked away near the bottom) or some brand supportive text. I feel that you could easily use that space in a more effective and productive way.

The width of your content blocks is bad. It's goes up to 1600px which is terrible for reading textual content and way bigger than most people's monitor resolutions. It creates incredibly long lines of text that people will simply not read. The About page is a prime example of it. I'd consider dropping it down closer to 1000px

More than happy to help for free but if you want to show some love back, either give me an up-vote or buy me a beer!beer.png

www.digitalsquid.net
@Digital_Squid

#5 CraigP

CraigP
  • Supporter+
  • Mike's BFF
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 15:17

Awesome feedback all, appreciate your time on that.

So the Logo was the big discussion in the office today and we have now all decided that we want it changed, the dash above the O is supposed to be the "Halo" That's the idea anyway! However, the font is wrong and the letter spacing is massive so I'm just going to try a few amendments but going to keep it simple.

The Search bar will be moved, we are not sure whether it will go under the "job board" title or within the landing area. which leads me to the next point.

The background image, there was a lot of discussion around this of the landing page and search area, and the idea is that the business is about people, and they intense eyes are about looking or searching, perhaps that message isn't coming across well, I've suggested a change, but I don't think there will be movement on that, However, I will look at some relevant examples and present another solution. 

Again, i've always been a big fan of wider websites, however, I do understand your points, so I may change it to 1200-1400, I will have a look at both.

The header - Agreed, need to break the grey up and fix the logo, something isn't right here.

For usability we will add in the scroll top icon.

Overall, great feedback, really appreciate it!

+1 to those who help

#6 Gibson

Gibson
  • Hefty Member
  • Flogging Gibbo
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 15:41

The background image, there was a lot of discussion around this of the landing page and search area, and the idea is that the business is about people, and they intense eyes are about looking or searching, perhaps that message isn't coming across well, I've suggested a change, but I don't think there will be movement on that, However, I will look at some relevant examples and present another solution. 

Interesting point. Often times I find that the theory of design , like science or any other discipline really, can be slightly detached from the reality of design. But like any other discipline, one has to start with the theory and then translate this to reality.

In this case, I would say stick to your theory, which is fundamentally correct, but step into the world of practicality, where it appears this particular image is perhaps overkill when judging our knee jerk and real-world reactions to it. I'm sure you can find something eventually which satisfies both the theory and the real world application if you dig for long enough.

the business is about people, and they intense eyes are about looking or searching,

Currently though, the eyes appear to be partially covered by the strapline. At least on desktop, or at least on my current resolution.

The Search bar will be moved, we are not sure whether it will go under the "job board" title or within the landing area

Personally, if it was a search for jobs, I'd put it under the title.

Nice effort though Craig, in general.

#7 CraigP

CraigP
  • Supporter+
  • Mike's BFF
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 15:52

Interesting point. Often times I find that the theory of design , like science or any other discipline really, can be slightly detached from the reality of design. But like any other discipline, one has to start with the theory and then translate this to reality.   In this case, I would say stick to your theory, which is fundamentally correct, but step into the world of practicality, where it appears this particular image is perhaps overkill when judging our knee jerk and real-world reactions to it. I'm sure you can find something eventually which satisfies both the theory and the real world application if you dig for long enough.

Absolutely, I'm going to put a few different examples together, cus it is a bit intense.

Personally, if it was a search for jobs, I'd put it under the title.

Yeah I think you're right, I will be doing some more work on it next Monday when I have some more time.

Nice effort though Craig, in general.

+1 to those who help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users