Basic Off Site SEO

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jamesosix

jamesosix
  • Standard Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 17:19

We all have a basic understanding of decent on site seo, but what would be basic off site seo? I really have no idea where to begin.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated!

#2 Lewwy

Lewwy
  • Global Mod
  • Mr. T
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:38

Well, you'd start with configuring the various web master tools, and then build incoming links to relevant pages; which is the hardest bit.

#3 eloquentlunacy

eloquentlunacy
  • Standard Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 13:10

Well, you'd start with configuring the various web master tools, and then build incoming links to relevant pages; which is the hardest bit mind numbingly tedious, endless task that never goes away but has to be done.

Take my advice - choose somebody with SEO integrity to do this for you!

Web Design Lincolnshire  - Creative Web Design & Development / WordPress lover

#4 jamesosix

jamesosix
  • Standard Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 18:10

Cheers guys...what is a sort off round about figure for basic link building? I dont have much money see and as a result, I would probably have to do this myself (which is fine, aslong as I know what I'm doing).

Is backlink building the only thing to do, or is there other less costly avenues to go down that would help? Thanks

#5 Lewwy

Lewwy
  • Global Mod
  • Mr. T
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 19:30

Links are AFAIK your only option. Plenty of my websites rank quite well just for having inbound links from my other domains, there are 'C Block' theories about why this is a bad idea, but I've not seen a negative effect personally.

Edited by Lewwy, 01 May 2013 - 20:01.

#6 jamesosix

jamesosix
  • Standard Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:27

alrighty then! Thanks guys. :)

#7 mindatrest

mindatrest
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:19

As a DIY SEO person myself, I have found that submitting your blog to the right sites gets you relevant back-links that google pick up fairly quickly.

Its also worth asking for backlinks, but try and make sure they are relevant to your site. I also agree google webmaster tools is worth setting up as it gives some good info on how google sees your site and whos linking to it. Beyond this you could try out the semoz pro free trial.

#8 DiederikEenschooten

DiederikEenschooten
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 638 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:11

Probaly a newbie question, but how much do you guys ask for SEO ?

#9 Jason Dexter

Jason Dexter
  • Mod
  • Advanced Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:41

Link building is the toughest, most muddy-water aspect of SEO yet it's the most rewarding. Which is why there is so much shit around with anyone thinking they can "do" SEO because they can get shitty links and sell them on.

Two things here; link earning and link building. The purest harp on and say "Well if you build spiffing content, who cares if you rank!" Half true, build great content and articles, make them for the user, as that is who matter. Don't write any drivel that'll read like you've just filled in the gaps with keywords.

The problem is, unless you're a big brand or have a community, you just aren't going to get people to write articles, link to you. Nobody is going to link to Nobby down the road because he runs a sparky firm. Even if he is the best sparky around.

I build links that are engaging, exciting, weaved into content and articles. Then I have links that have been built purely for ranking, sort of in the background propping everything up. From domains and websites I ownb, the blogs I have access to (nothing naughty, mind!)

Blogger outreaching is one great way of doing. Build up a list of active bloggers that are nerds about your product and get talking to them, have them review what your selling, offer incentives and so on.

There is no dark art to it. Just like web design. Theres no magic, just graft, hardwork and commitment I'm afraid

Probaly a newbie question, but how much do you guys ask for SEO ?

Meaning how much do I charge? Depends wildly. Monthly work usually start from about £150/200

#10 DiederikEenschooten

DiederikEenschooten
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 638 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:50

Meaning how much do I charge? Depends wildly. Monthly work usually start from about £150/200

Yup ment that, Ah oke, sounds about reasonable. was just wondering if there would be a big difference ;p

#11 Jason Dexter

Jason Dexter
  • Mod
  • Advanced Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:08

Haha it varies wildly, depending on what is needed. Some clients pay more, some pay less. If they just want me as a consultant, then thats on an hourly basis. If they want me to look after their SEO, PPC, Social Media, brand rep and advertising campaigns then that costs a lot more

#12 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Overlord
  • Code Poet
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:16

submitting your blog to the right sites

Ah, but what are the right sites? This is the bit that's always baffled me.

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

Was this post helpful? Buy me a beer.

#13 Jason Dexter

Jason Dexter
  • Mod
  • Advanced Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 13:23

Take the subject of the website. Lets say you're a web developer.

You could always guest post on websites. Write up an article and get in touch with developer community.  Not other developers, because nobody will link to a competitor but a website that talks about web development. Everything you write in your own blog and be used as an article on another website to get a link back.

More mundane stuff, like desks, take work because unless you're selling outstanding desks, you have to think outside of the box

#14 mindatrest

mindatrest
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 13:40

Ah, but what are the right sites? This is the bit that's always baffled me.

Yep I agree that's the  tricky part.

Google blogspot seems to have weight but you have to locate your DNS (Domain Name System) settings. In order to link your blog to your custom domain, enter your "CNAME" and "A-records."  http://support.googl...3381&page=ts.cs

I also use paperblog that's already got me 13 links, google webmaster tools has highlighted this so the site must carry some weight.

If you have got access to SEOmoz pro the you can do a competitor link analysis this often points out where relevant sites are blog posting & linking.

#15 jamesosix

jamesosix
  • Standard Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:26

Well some great input here and certainly agree that getting natural links for mundane business (such as a plumber/sparky etc) is the difficult part compared to something that is funky or novalty and naturally gets a lot of links...

Well thanks for the info guys, given me a lot more of an idea of what needs to be done, so thanks all :)

#16 InternetMarketingPlatinum

InternetMarketingPlatinum
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:50

Cheers guys...what is a sort off round about figure for basic link building? I dont have much money see and as a result, I would probably have to do this myself (which is fine, aslong as I know what I'm doing).

Is backlink building the only thing to do, or is there other less costly avenues to go down that would help? Thanks

Link baiting is another option and is actually what Google would prefer you to do.

As a DIY SEO person myself, I have found that submitting your blog to the right sites gets you relevant back-links that google pick up fairly quickly.

Its also worth asking for backlinks, but try and make sure they are relevant to your site. I also agree google webmaster tools is worth setting up as it gives some good info on how google sees your site and whos linking to it. Beyond this you could try out the semoz pro free trial.

When you say submitting your "blog" do you mean your RSS feed to RSS directories, your blog posts to Web 2.0 properties, your blog to high authority blog directories such as Technorati? If you clarify I can advise further.

Well some great input here and certainly agree that getting natural links for mundane business (such as a plumber/sparky etc) is the difficult part compared to something that is funky or novalty and naturally gets a lot of links...

Well thanks for the info guys, given me a lot more of an idea of what needs to be done, so thanks all :)

I work with lots of tradespeople as part of my own online marketing agency and am part owner of MyTrade.tv an online trades resource so know all there is to know about link building for the trades.

First off make sure you have a blog and post your case studies to it, make sure Facebook and Twitter posts are subsequently added too.  Have a LinkedIn (don't forget you can have a business page on there too) account, Pinterest, maybe Instagram, Google+, YouTube (video some of your jobs and happy customer testimonials).  Make sure your website is credible with logos and outbound links to all of the trade associations and other sites that provide your business with credibility.  In terms of link baiting, have a calculator developed (we've developed these types of link baiting resource for many clients and streamlined the process so it's relatively cost effective) or other resource solution that others in your industry will link to.  The thing about tradespeople is they only work a certain area so it doesn't matter if your competitors link to you.  Make friends with them.

Then comes the hard work...think outside of the box to gain quality, powerful and relevant backlinks.  You'll need general links on sites that Google crawls regularly and you'll need content including article, blog posts, videos, podcasts (if applicable), turn your articles in PDFs and slideshow and spread the word about your company.  Gain customers reviews.  Mashup RSS and submit it to RSS directories.  Build your network!  Then you'll need to monitor your reputation and engage with your customers.  If a customer posts a good comment about you on Google+ then thanks them.  Too many people forget to do this and just concentrate on dealing with the negative views.  Get to know the sentiment about you and your company.  You'll need to find relevant web directories and popular directories.  Don't let anyone tell you not to join directories, everything still works post Panda and Penguin, it's quality that counts.  Participate in local forums.  Pay to join any relevant associations and other authority websites.  Design an animated gif banner ad and finding relevant high traffic and powerful websites to advertise on.  Build an email list.

I would go on but I think that this is enough to assimilate for now...

Any specific questions please ask.

Thanks

Michael

#17 shubham1

shubham1
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:18

You can start with configuring the various web master tools, and then build incoming links to relevant pages. Everything you write in your own blog and be used as an article on another website to get a link back.

#18 william_white

william_white
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:58

Well i hope you got all your answers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users