SEO

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Andy

Andy
  • Supporter
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 22:04

The time has come for me to "reset" my website/blog. I hate the design, I hate the posts, I hate the URL structure, I hate it.

I know this is an absolute no-no, but it's happening! I need to rid my site of the posts that hold no relevance in the world anymore. I've been working on a very smart, CSS only, responsive design and am almost there with it now. I'm really happy with it, it's the kind of thing I wanted when I last re-designed! Posts from now on are here to stay - I've got a much better understanding of how to future-proof with WordPress now.

Anyway, onto the good stuff...

What's the best way about causing this sudden mass of 404s with regards to Google? Should I 301 all the dead pages to my new homepage? Leave them as 404s and request removal from Google?

Honestly, I don't mind too much about how badly Google punishes me for this unforgivable event, but I'd rather it didn't get me onto any blacklist-style system they have in place.

Non-in-page SEO is a mystery to me, please help :(

Edit: I might add, I really want to get blogging again (hence this reset), so will a stream of new content help out with the situation?

#2 Lewwy

Lewwy
  • Global Mod
  • Mr. T
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 23:12

Set up a rule that 404's are redirected to your homepage, unless you have content relevant to the search, like for example if you are revamping a post on the same subject you've already written about, then 301 to the new page. I very much doubt Google will blacklist you for 404's, they happen far too often!

#3 Jock

Jock
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 23:41

Try 410 instead of 404, apparently Google removes them faster. Its the correct code to use when you delete a file anyway.

#4 Andy

Andy
  • Supporter
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 00:50

Uh oh - two opposite answers! Do I setup 410's, or 301's?! Hopefully I won't be blacklisted...I've messed about with URLs before though that's my only concern. As I said, it's a relatively tiny number of pages.

#5 Jason Dexter

Jason Dexter
  • Mod
  • Advanced Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:37

Pretty much with Lewwy here to be honest. 301's will keep your links within your domain instead of losing them. 301 content to relevant places; about us to about us etc. Leaving them as 404's will null and void any backlinks

#6 Andy

Andy
  • Supporter
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 13:29

Thanks guys, 301 frenzy it is.

#7 Lewwy

Lewwy
  • Global Mod
  • Mr. T
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 13:52

Someone +1'd me. I'm no longer grey.. I don't think I've been this excited since the Spice Girls announced a reunion. :/

#8 Andy

Andy
  • Supporter
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 18:52

It was me being generous to us "early adopters". We deserve it.

#9 theboss

theboss
  • Supporter+
  • Standard Member
  • 460 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 22:30

Yeah, 301 to the old urls to something relevant, homepage only if you really have to. Then remove these old urls via webmaster tools removal tools whilst asking google to recrawl the new pages (or whole site if its all new) via the 'crawl as googlebot' tool. I do it this way and normally all is sorted within 48 hours max.

#10 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 14:43

Depends how fresh you want to get with the new site. I'd forward any old links to a page stating the article no longer exists then drop in a 'related posts' widget that could ping people off in the direction of something they may be interested in, thus saving any potential visitors from hitting a dead end.

#11 Jock

Jock
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 15:14

If you're getting rid of the articles then they should 410 :ph34r: If you're keeping some articles then they should 301.

#12 Andy

Andy
  • Supporter
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 16:09

When I say reset, I mean 100% replace a website with a brand new one. Perhaps one or two 301's could be setup for relevant content. I'll put 410's in place for every other page on my current site then, other than homepage obviously. Thanks guys.

#13 AfroditaLex

AfroditaLex
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 00:00

I need to contact with Moderator Do know anybody him contacts? :)

#14 Gibson

Gibson
  • Hefty Member
  • Flogging Gibbo
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 00:11

:D

#15 Paul_likes_the_ocean

Paul_likes_the_ocean
  • Hefty Member
  • Sausage Pants
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:20

I need to contact with Moderator

Do know anybody him contacts?

:)

For the best advice on how to post on a forum?

“I have enough unknowns in my surfing life and my oracle life without you adding a whole ‘nother life” Olaf 

www.simpler-life.com

#16 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:19

info@twdf.co.uk

#17 tattersalls

tattersalls
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 15:21

When I say reset, I mean 100% replace a website with a brand new one. Perhaps one or two 301's could be setup for relevant content.

I'll put 410's in place for every other page on my current site then, other than homepage obviously.

Thanks guys.

Personally I've never used 410 for a page or seen it recommended other than here. Just 404 the pages that no longer exist and 301 the old urls to the new ones that are most relevant. You don't want to 301 everything to one irrelevant page because this could raise spam signals - an old black hat tactic I believe.

Anyone got any blog posts or something regarding this 410 being a quicker version of 404?

#18 Jason Dexter

Jason Dexter
  • Mod
  • Advanced Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 16:16

410 shows the page to be "gone" and 404 is "not found". So a 404 error would be used should there be a web page that has an error or generally not found i.e there was never a page called that before. 410 would then be used to say that domain.com/special-offer-2010 is gone forever

http://www.seroundta...ves/021021.html

#19 tattersalls

tattersalls
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 16:49

410 shows the page to be "gone" and 404 is "not found". So a 404 error would be used should there be a web page that has an error or generally not found i.e there was never a page called that before. 410 would then be used to say that domain.com/special-offer-2010 is gone forever

http://www.seroundta...ves/021021.html

Thanks Jason. Second question: are 410 pages customisable in the way that 404 pages have been created to encourage people to browse the rest of your site even though the page no longer exists?

#20 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 18:42

Thanks Jason. Second question: are 410 pages customisable in the way that 404 pages have been created to encourage people to browse the rest of your site even though the page no longer exists?

Yep, you can create custom pages for any of your error pages. How you about this depends on how the server is set-up though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SEO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users