• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Paul_likes_the_ocean

Paul_likes_the_ocean
  • Hefty Member
  • Sausage Pants
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 14:07

Part of the new theme for my website will include using tags as there are going to be lots of cross category action going on. Are there any SEO implications for using tags on a wordpress site?

“I have enough unknowns in my surfing life and my oracle life without you adding a whole ‘nother life” Olaf 

www.simpler-life.com

#2 Jason Dexter

Jason Dexter
  • Mod
  • Advanced Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 14:10

If tags point to a targeted page (so you want to rank domain.com/seo for "SEO" then point a tag there) then thats fine. BUT if not then you could lose control over link juice flow. Point a ton of internal links at a page on your blog that just shows all the posts with that tag might cause problems.

Maybe stick a no-follow on them

#3 eloquentlunacy

eloquentlunacy
  • Standard Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 14:22

Watch the duplicate content - can't speak for Wordpress, but tagging systems in Joomla can cause merry hell if let loose with no thought to duplicate URL's.

Web Design Lincolnshire  - Creative Web Design & Development / WordPress lover

#4 justdave

justdave
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 13:29

Tags on platforms like wordpress can be beneficial, especially for long tail stuff if planned properly. Spraying and praying of tags on every post can just make your site ridiculously difficult for search engined to crawl and index properly, and in worst cases deem a lot of pages to be low value.

#5 SixtyMarketing

SixtyMarketing
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 18:59

i havent used tags on Wordpress for over 5 years. All it does it create duplicate archieve pages and reduce the level of quality you have on your website. If you think about it, you already have your blog archive, category archive, date archive.... if you add tags then you will then start introducing tag archives. its just a complete mess by added tags. You can install a plugin that stops google indexing all these archives but then you lose the the point of why you want to create tags in the first place.

Thanks...

Kev Massey - SixtyMarketing

#6 justdave

justdave
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 21:29

i havent used tags on Wordpress for over 5 years. All it does it create duplicate archieve pages and reduce the level of quality you have on your website. If you think about it, you already have your blog archive, category archive, date archive.... if you add tags then you will then start introducing tag archives. its just a complete mess by added tags. You can install a plugin that stops google indexing all these archives but then you lose the the point of why you want to create tags in the first place.

You are free to have your opinion, but tags are really useful if used correctly for SEO and people. The trouble is a lot of the time they are used with ignorance. This post is a really old post too :)

Dave

#7 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:40

if you add tags then you will then start introducing tag archives. its just a complete mess by added tags. You can install a plugin that stops google indexing all these archives but then you lose the the point of why you want to create tags in the first place.

Well... let's not forget that we're creating this content for humans first. If tags help your human visitors navigate around your site and discover the content they want, isn't that the point?

It's all very well people talking about Google etc, but remember these sites are for people to consume your content.

#8 KommerceAgency

KommerceAgency
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:56

Tags in  WordPress helpful in scenario with users but in case of search engines sometimes it creates the duplicate's content. You may also give command as no-follow/no-index as per requirement. Good luck.

#9 Naman Modi

Naman Modi
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:55

Tags Creation in Wordpress site is so useful for users, they can easily understand the content. But the Search engine crawler takes it duplicate content. So be more careful and give the no-index and no-follow command to Google bot to stay away from this. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users