50p .co.uk Domain Registration

cheap domain hosting offer domains registration

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 DRBartlett

DRBartlett
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 13:59

Hello to everyone on thewebdesignforum.co.uk!

My name is Daniel and I work at a web hosting company called Domain Express.

At the moment we are doing an offer where you can purchase a .co.uk domain for only 50p, and if you purchase hosting with the domain, you get it for half the price!

There are no hidden fees, and we won't charge you if you decide to move your domain away.

If you're interested, all you need to do is go to our website, www.domainexpress.co.uk.

I'll stick around to answer any questions you might have.

#2 Frankchester

Frankchester
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 15:09

Just bought one, eh what have I got to lose? COLLECT ALL THE DOMAINS.

#3 DRBartlett

DRBartlett
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 15:31

I'm so glad someone replied! And that really made me laugh. Hope you enjoy your new domain!

#4 Scott

Scott
  • Global Mod
  • Table-Master
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 16:39

You charge for whois opt-out on uk domains, even though it's a free service?

I lol'd - but what the hell, bought one - I'll just opt-out of whois via nominet :)

#5 Frankchester

Frankchester
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:38

Just so that everyone knows "the catch" to this, it's just that they've called me on an almost daily basis to sell me things. I've missed the call each time but I've got the voicemails. So now the number is on my block list :D So still pretty happy with my domain.

#6 DRBartlett

DRBartlett
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:02

To Frankchester,

The reason we call our first-time customers isn't just to up-sell. We call because we find a lot of our customers have purchased a domain but aren't really sure what to do with it, and also to verify them, to prevent fraud etc. We only make a call to attempt to verify you 3 times, once every 2 days.

You will still receive an email to remind you of your renewal, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue that you have blocked our number.

After this initial conversation in which you are verified, the only other time you will be contacted is to remind you of renewals.

#7 theboss

theboss
  • Supporter+
  • Standard Member
  • 460 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:03

Just so that everyone knows "the catch" to this, it's just that they've called me on an almost daily basis to sell me things. I've missed the call each time but I've got the voicemails. So now the number is on my block list :D So still pretty happy with my domain.

I have various PAYG sim cards purely for things like this... :)

#8 Paul_likes_the_ocean

Paul_likes_the_ocean
  • Hefty Member
  • Sausage Pants
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:11

Yeah, same here! Never had a domain registrar call me up about a domain I've bought, and I've bought a few in my time!

“I have enough unknowns in my surfing life and my oracle life without you adding a whole ‘nother life” Olaf 

www.simpler-life.com

#9 MMedia

MMedia
  • Supporter+
  • Advanced Member
  • 985 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:07

Well it's to be expected really, the offer is too good to be true.

I'm not suggesting it's a bad offer, because it isn't, but an up-sell email and/or call is to be expected really. It's not bad business practise, DomainExpress are merely trying to maximise the offer's potential.

I'd always pay the going rate (~£5) for a domain registrar that gives you full and free control because saving a few quid is rather short sighted - that's not a dig at DomainExpress, from what I can tell they don't lock you down demanding more money, but many do.

Midas Media Full Service Design Agency | Midas Click - Digital Marketing Experts | Facebook | Twitter @Midas_UK | Google+

#10 DRBartlett

DRBartlett
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:53

To MMMedia:

Thank you very much for saying that we are not indulging in bad business practice - I really appreciate that, as I personally feel that the contact we attempt to make is neither excessive or unwarranted.

As I said before, after our initial attempt to contact you, we won't be making any calls to you to try and up-sell or anything like that. We would only contact you if there was an issue with your account.

And by the way, we call all new customers, even outside of this offer! A lot of people appreciate the welcome, and the advice we give. A lot of people I talk to have just purchased a domain on their own and expect to be online, so I definitely think what we do is at least mutually beneficial. You guys are a lot more knowledgeable than most of our customer base, but then, this is a forum for web designers!

#11 Frankchester

Frankchester
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 13:14

Well it's to be expected really, the offer is too good to be true.

I'm not suggesting it's a bad offer, because it isn't, but an up-sell email and/or call is to be expected really. It's not bad business practise, DomainExpress are merely trying to maximise the offer's potential.

I'd always pay the going rate (~£5) for a domain registrar that gives you full and free control because saving a few quid is rather short sighted - that's not a dig at DomainExpress, from what I can tell they don't lock you down demanding more money, but many do.

Yep, that's why I'm not bothered about the calls, cos I knew there would be "something". I wasn't purposefully ignoring them, just missed the call. And now it'll go striaght to voicemail which again doesn't bother me.

I have no problems buying a service that is "too good to be true" and then working my own way around the catches. It's like flying with Ryan Air... shit, but you knew what you were getting so just pack light and prepare to run for the seat :P

#12 PipeTenHostingCarl

PipeTenHostingCarl
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 13:16

I'd personally be a bit cautious about using a domain registrar who can't get their own domain registration correct...

Domain name:
        domainexpress.co.uk
    Registrant:
        Zak Bukhari

Registrant type:
        UK Sole Trader

Also from http://www.domainexp...co.uk/terms.php

> Domain Express clients can transfer their registered domain name from Domain Express to another hosting company at any time. Domain Express will charge an administration fee of £10 + VAT to effect the transfer. Domain Express will endeavor to process all transfers on which the administration fee has been paid within 5 working days of the written request from the customer.

Not having a go, wish you the best of luck, just saying what I see.

#13 Frankchester

Frankchester
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 13:16

To Frankchester,

The reason we call our first-time customers isn't just to up-sell. We call because we find a lot of our customers have purchased a domain but aren't really sure what to do with it, and also to verify them, to prevent fraud etc. We only make a call to attempt to verify you 3 times, once every 2 days.

You will still receive an email to remind you of your renewal, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue that you have blocked our number.

After this initial conversation in which you are verified, the only other time you will be contacted is to remind you of renewals.

Sorry if I offended you. I didn't mean to at all, I'm not pissed off about the calls. Just that it's something to make the others aware of. I'm really happy with the cost of my domain.

#14 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Overlord
  • Code Poet
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 13:21

There are no hidden fees, and we won't charge you if you decide to move your domain away.

Also from http://www.domainexp...co.uk/terms.php

> Domain Express clients can transfer their registered domain name from Domain Express to another hosting company at any time. Domain Express will charge an administration fee of £10 + VAT to effect the transfer. Domain Express will endeavor to process all transfers on which the administration fee has been paid within 5 working days of the written request from the customer.

So which is it?

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

Was this post helpful? Buy me a beer.

#15 DRBartlett

DRBartlett
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 13:41

So which is it?

We did indeed used to charge a transfer-out fee, but we found it generated a lot of discontent so we discontinued doing this. It seems that we neglected to remove it from our Terms and Conditions! I assure you, there is no charge for transferring a domain anymore.

Sorry if I offended you. I didn't mean to at all, I'm not pissed off about the calls. Just that it's something to make the others aware of. I'm really happy with the cost of my domain.

Oh it's not a problem! You certainly didn't offend me. I was just worried you were getting the wrong end of the stick, and thought we had devised some evil ploy to trick you into purchasing more services with us. Obviously, as a business, we encourage that, but we pride ourselves on not being pushy.

I have various PAYG sim cards purely for things like this... :)

You could have simply not given us your number :)

I'd personally be a bit cautious about using a domain registrar who can't get their own domain registration correct... Domain name: domainexpress.co.uk Registrant: Zak Bukhari Registrant type: UK Sole Trader

This is... a very good point. We are changing this, and also removing the £10 transfer fee section from our terms and conditions.

#16 Scott

Scott
  • Global Mod
  • Table-Master
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 13:44

You could have simply not given us your number :)

Except for the fact that it's a required field on the registration form.... :P

#17 DRBartlett

DRBartlett
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 13:46

Except for the fact that it's a required field on the registration form.... :P

Fair enough, but we get plenty of people registering with the very unique phone number of '1234567890'. I mean the chances of someone getting this number are astronomical enough, but would you believe it, there's more than one person out there with it!

#18 PipeTenHostingCarl

PipeTenHostingCarl
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 13:55

Fair enough, but we get plenty of people registering with the very unique phone number of '1234567890'. I mean the chances of someone getting this number are astronomical enough, but would you believe it, there's more than one person out there with it!

Is it not part of Nominets registrar agreement that you must provide accurate information when it is available? Providing a false telephone number could be grounds for domain cancellation... It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that is the case.

#19 DRBartlett

DRBartlett
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 14:13

Is it not part of Nominets registrar agreement that you must provide accurate information when it is available? Providing a false telephone number could be grounds for domain cancellation... It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that is the case.

This is indeed correct, I have lifted this from Nominet's Good Practice Terms concerning registrars:

"You must not knowingly provide poor quality Registrant data. We recognise that many Registrars provide online registration systems. So, you won't need to check all the data provided manually. But, if you find out that a Registrant has provided poor quality data you should attempt to correct the data. Or if you know that a particular Registrant usually gives poor quality data, you should take it up with your customer to stop this happening."

So this is why we require a phone number - however, there is nothing we can do to stop people supplying false ones, except when they are obviously false. In this case we usually warn them that they need to provide us with a proper contact number - usually once we explain things they are happy to comply.

#20 MMedia

MMedia
  • Supporter+
  • Advanced Member
  • 985 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 15:29

Also, sorry to jump on the nitpicking bandwagon but... an 0844 revenue share number, for the sales line?

Ouch.

Midas Media Full Service Design Agency | Midas Click - Digital Marketing Experts | Facebook | Twitter @Midas_UK | Google+

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cheap, domain, hosting, offer, domains, registration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users