Photo

Link Building in 2014

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tattersalls

tattersalls
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:33

The days of link directories for quick links has become pretty much a dead practice so I was wondering how people have now altered their link building strategies. Are you on the guest posting bandwagon? Would be nice to know what lengths people go to in order to acquire a link now. Or do you focus solely on social?

#2 Jason Dexter

Jason Dexter
  • Mod
  • Advanced Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:06

I wouldn't say dead practice. If you can set up 20-30 citations for a business with 100% accurate NAP across those properties and your website, you'll notice a difference with local search. Google NEEDS multiple sources to confirm a business location. 

Auto-submitting to thousands of directories without a care in the world is a dead practice, though!

Guest posting isn't dead. How can Google devalue contextual, branded/unbranded links? Thats the very basis of their algo. So I'm guest posting, but with high quality websites and not with links in mind. I did some work on Zoopla for a client of mine and the traffic was great, the link was no-followed but the enquiries was enough to warrant the time. If you're writing low quality stuff on low quality websites then thats where you'll get hit. The same with blog comments; still amazingly effective but just do it on a small, tiny scale.

For me, I market content. I actually leverage social media profiles to push out content on a website (whether it's my own or a website I've written for) in order to gain exposure and traction. Do this on a regular basis and people will start to pick up on it. Mix in some citations and outreaching and you'll set yourself up for a nice link profile.

Some websites are easier to link bait than others. An electronic cigarette website I work with, I created some quality visual assets that were unique to the ecig market and pushed them out on high profile vaping forums. Badabing, people loved it, those that had websites linked to us and we drew some great traffic (and still do) from those websites.

It really does depend on the website! 

How far have I gone for a link off a website? An appalling round of golf in Cambridge would be the furthest I've strayed. That was for a meeting with a client and then a round of golf with a guy who owned a website that I had been socially grooming for a while. We chatted about everything and I managed to get a few guest blogging gigs and set up relationship between his website and my clients.

#3 tattersalls

tattersalls
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 13:26

I wouldn't say dead practice. If you can set up 20-30 citations for a business with 100% accurate NAP across those properties and your website, you'll notice a difference with local search. Google NEEDS multiple sources to confirm a business location. 

Auto-submitting to thousands of directories without a care in the world is a dead practice, though!

Guest posting isn't dead. How can Google devalue contextual, branded/unbranded links? Thats the very basis of their algo. So I'm guest posting, but with high quality websites and not with links in mind. I did some work on Zoopla for a client of mine and the traffic was great, the link was no-followed but the enquiries was enough to warrant the time. If you're writing low quality stuff on low quality websites then thats where you'll get hit. The same with blog comments; still amazingly effective but just do it on a small, tiny scale.

For me, I market content. I actually leverage social media profiles to push out content on a website (whether it's my own or a website I've written for) in order to gain exposure and traction. Do this on a regular basis and people will start to pick up on it. Mix in some citations and outreaching and you'll set yourself up for a nice link profile.

Some websites are easier to link bait than others. An electronic cigarette website I work with, I created some quality visual assets that were unique to the ecig market and pushed them out on high profile vaping forums. Badabing, people loved it, those that had websites linked to us and we drew some great traffic (and still do) from those websites.

It really does depend on the website! 

How far have I gone for a link off a website? An appalling round of golf in Cambridge would be the furthest I've strayed. That was for a meeting with a client and then a round of golf with a guy who owned a website that I had been socially grooming for a while. We chatted about everything and I managed to get a few guest blogging gigs and set up relationship between his website and my clients.

Fantastic. Better brush up on my golfing skills haha. I do believe the good old days of relationship building is one of the ways to acquire a link but like you said it shouldn't be at the forefront of your mind but rather a benefit behind what you are doing.

#4 webxity

webxity
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 15:51

great tips there. 

Thanks

Experienced and Professional Web application developers | PHP Frameworks | Ruby on Rails | Javascript frameworks | Jquerymobile | Wordpress | Magento | US off-shore company | Webxity Technologies

#5 hary999

hary999
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:10

yes i agree with you totally Jason Dexter ,

no guest blogging is dead, it's just that the ways are changed , it's not all about just leaving the branded links , you should think of creating an awesome piece of content , only then you can gain ,otherwise google has become smarter enough to detect your false linking strategies

#6 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:32

I think link building in 2014 has became very limited because of the updates released recently , only way of building links is through solving problems and gaining good reputation in forums,and blogs , if you don't post relevant links with a unique content adding value to blog your comment will be deleted

As it damn well should

#7 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:09

The reason is why directory submission is dead because any one can catch this easily and can create the backlinks in bulk without any hard efforts so google bot considered that people only use directory to get well rank on GOOGLE SERPS as soon as possible and they only focus on the search engine ranking no matter which types of info they provide to visitors. I would like to say that not only think about your search engine ranking also do focus on your content the is your website's content is useful for the visitor, Are people getting info from your site what thay really want.

So what do you suggest then?

Spamming forums? Spamming your links in to signatures, for example?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users