• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 historygirllfc

historygirllfc
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 20:54

Newbie question I have an idea of my layout and typography. I've started a very basic structure but where to start? Would you suggest a list of small jobs to tick off e.g. Add header, add navigation, add footer, social icons etc

I have some content but unsure of where to begin start any tips?

YNWA

#2 Gibson

Gibson
  • Hefty Member
  • Flogging Gibbo
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 23:31

Visual heirarchy is a good place to start. What is it that you want to jump out to the user? In what order of importance do you place things? Is there a call to action? Is it clear? etc. etc. - that type of thing.

Also, your swatch pallette.

Also, are you going to use a framework?

That's for starters, by no means a comprehensive list.

#3 Paul_likes_the_ocean

Paul_likes_the_ocean
  • Hefty Member
  • Sausage Pants
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:20

Coffee. Big pot of coffee. That's how I start lol

“I have enough unknowns in my surfing life and my oracle life without you adding a whole ‘nother life” Olaf 

www.simpler-life.com

#4 CraigP

CraigP
  • Supporter+
  • Mike's BFF
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:04

Coffee. Big pot of coffee. That's how I start lol

seconded

Push24 Creative - it's just who we are and what we do!
Get in Touch - craig@Push24Creative.co.uk

Follow Me - @craigpettit12 - @Push24Creative
+1 to those who help

#5 historygirllfc

historygirllfc
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 643 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 15:14

Haha well I do work for a well known coffee brand. Thanks for suggestions Gibson that's helpful.

YNWA

#6 KotaroDesign

KotaroDesign
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:14

Chris Coyier has a talk from 2012, which covers "A Modern Web Designer's Workflow". You might want to look into that whenever you have some time available.

Whenever I am not sure how to start off, I usually just throw the type and colors on the blank canvas. I proceed with changing the typeface and the styling, adjusting the contrasts and maybe add some images. In addition I keep dribbble and behance open in the Background for some inspiration, so I can hit command+tab to quickly switch from work to inspiration and the other way around. It should only take a minute or two, until I have a general idea of the website.

Alternatively, also my preferred way of building websites, is by starting of with a wireframe. My sites and apps never end up having exactly the same layout, but it helps to visualize the structure. I absolute love the following kit, which is free to use for Adobe Illustrator: http://theycallmecro...reframekit.html

Good luck! :)

#7 historygirllfc

historygirllfc
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 643 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 18:43

Thanks for the link to cover will look at it when I have bit of spare time looks helpful though so thanks.

YNWA

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: html, css, layout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users