Who's using Laravel?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 andys

andys
  • Standard Member
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:06

I really want to get into a 'proper' php framework.

Who's had experience with Laravel? What's the learning curve like? What sort of thing will I have to do to build basic functionality? Is it as accessible and easy to learn as wordpress? 

Hit me. 

#2 PipeTenHostingCarl

PipeTenHostingCarl
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 14:38

More for bespoke applications than Wordpress, certainly a much larger learning curve and generally more difficult to get setup correctly on shared hosting (due to Composer), but seems to be gaining popularity with our customer base.

#3 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 19:13

Who's had experience with Laravel?

** Looks for brightonmike and Inspired **

Those are my candidates for most likely Laravel users.

#4 DigitalSquid

DigitalSquid
  • Overlord
  • Squidministrator
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 19:55

And Kixtro. He's always banging on about it in the IRC channel

More than happy to help for free but if you want to show some love back, either give me an up-vote or buy me a beer!

www.digitalsquid.net
@Digital_Squid

#5 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 20:18

And Kixtro. He's always banging on about it in the IRC channel

Ah, it may have been that nob i was thinking of! :P

#6 Inspired

Inspired
  • Supporter
  • Advanced Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:56

LOL. Thanks Mike, but sadly no. I am attracted to it by the extremely well designed website though. If the framework is half as well designed as that it should be cracking!

Web designer, UX flavoured. Opinionated. Caffeinated.

Opining at @nternetinspired and standing my ground at http://internet-inspired.com. I also make the best responsive Joomla templates in town.

Joomla UX Team Leader.

#7 ryan

ryan
  • Global Mod
  • Young 'un
  • 384 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:41

I haven't used Lavarel yet, but I used CodeIgniter last time I had a bespoke PHP project. You definitely need to know MVC, and general programming basics. I'm definitely looking to use Lavarel next time!

Looks really good, lots of prebuilt stuff, validation etc. Best way is to get stuck into it, use it for a side project if you have time, get in the docs and explore it!

Freelance Web Designer 
@ryangittings

Have I helped? If you want, you can show me some  :wub: and buy me a beer!beer.png

#8 brightonmike

brightonmike
  • Global Mod
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:58

Laravel is good but it's incomparable to WordPress. One is a CMS, the other is a backend framework.

I've only a little experience with Laravel so I can't really tell you much, but if you're only used to working with WP then building bespoke apps with PHP would be a significant (but highly beneficial) step up.

http://michaelgunner.co.uk/

Awesome free web meet up in Surrey: http://418conf.co.uk/

#9 andys

andys
  • Standard Member
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:07

I haven't used Lavarel yet, but I used CodeIgniter last time I had a bespoke PHP project. You definitely need to know MVC, and general programming basics. I'm definitely looking to use Lavarel next time!

Looks really good, lots of prebuilt stuff, validation etc. Best way is to get stuck into it, use it for a side project if you have time, get in the docs and explore it!

Yeah, that's what interested me in it in the first place - the way it seems to have so much 'low level' functionality in there and you (I think?) don't need to really worry about security too much or spend a month building a registration page.

Laravel is good but it's incomparable to WordPress. One is a CMS, the other is a backend framework.

I've only a little experience with Laravel so I can't really tell you much, but if you're only used to working with WP then building bespoke apps with PHP would be a significant (but highly beneficial) step up.

A step up is what I'm hoping for! :)

Have you used it in any actual projects yet?

#10 brightonmike

brightonmike
  • Global Mod
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:45

A step up is what I'm hoping for! :)

Have you used it in any actual projects yet?

I've worked with it on several but primarily handling front end. 

http://michaelgunner.co.uk/

Awesome free web meet up in Surrey: http://418conf.co.uk/

#11 Rallport

Rallport
  • Supporter
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 13:42

Absolutely loving Laravel 4. It's my go to framework at the moment and the topic I'm blogging about a far bit too :)

Have a read of the Docs - if you've used frameworks before it's not as hard to get into as people make out. For first time users, I'd 1000% recommend reading ann ebook called Codebright by a developer called Dayle Rees.

Favourite parts for me:

• Composer based
  • Freedom to structure and order my app as I see fit - no more forcing a controllers, or models folder on me
  • Blade and Eloquent ORM. Although for bigger prjects I tend to switch out Blade for Twig
  • Great helpful community
  • It will make you a better developer - I've learned lots of new practices that are good to know anyway, but do help you develop faster
  • Routing - absolutely love how routing is handled

Just using Laravel 4 right now to build a large directory type website with subscriptions. 

#12 Devon

Devon
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 23:29

I've always avoided writing things from scratch as it's a lot of work and frameworks really force you to do things their way or to do some really sketchy code just to hack/bypass the system.

However, I took a look at Laravel and I'm quite impressed by it. It's fairly new and designed with the modern workflow and programming practices in mind. I won't claim to be the best when it comes to programming, or even state that I'm well versed in the different programming structures.

That being said, Laravel does seem like a solid solution. It's pretty easy to learn, fairly lightweight, and actually fun to work with. So much that I've finally decided to work on my own project using a framework.

Give it a try for a week, if you don't like it, move on. :)

Edited by Devon, 07 August 2014 - 23:31.

Have I saved you a headache from suffering? No problem! :don-t_mention: But, it'd sure be nice if you were to [ buy me a drink! ] :drinks:
I'm not a designer, I'm a code ninja! :ph34r:    Follow me on Twitter!  
@devonzara

#13 divyesh.padamani

divyesh.padamani
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:11

Hi,

Into the PHP core there is a very less chances to increase the Reusability of the Code.But If you have Working on the Laravel then its lightweight. you are also able to Reuse the code.So its Occupy less Memory as Compare with Core.

One Very important benefits is that Security.its Very Much secure compare with core.

In Laravel Coding Everything Should be Divided in small file like Your JavaSript should be one Folder,style is Stored in Different folder,Logic is also an Different Folder.

naming Convention is very much Important into this framework.So, Today on Word LARAVEL is Mostly Usefull framework to design PHP web Application.

THANK YOU.

Divyesh Padamani

Software Developer - iFour Technolab Pvt. Ltd.

#14 shubham1

shubham1
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:18

Yes i am used....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users