HELP with big ecommerce shop

wix code quote forms

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 chloelawrance

chloelawrance
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:39

Ok, so I'm making a website for my company and we need to add thousands of products (maybe tens of thousands) However I will need my website to use Quote Forms, so people add the products to the cart and then click get quote and it will send an email to us.

I started creating a Wix website, just to get the design as it was simple to use and I didn't know that we would need to add all the products. 

Follow this link to view what I'm trying to achieve on my site: http://supportsystem...el-slotted/c7vv

As you can see I have made tables which I have imported from google spreadsheets, and then added the '+' button next to each item so the customer can add it. 

This was initially fine, however I have added 1000+ products and it loads really slow when I go to choose my product.

I am not paying for Wix because it is clearly not suitable and I was just seeing how everything went before I bought it and luckily the problems have become very clear.

I have also started coding my website (this was before I made my Wix site) but I found it a much longer process as I don't know it that well and I have so much I need to add. I understand the basics but when it comes to adding slideshows etc I'm completely lost.

So, my question is, can anyone give me a reference about where I should go? Will I need to create my whole website from scratch or is there another web builder I can use which I can add all my products to.

I know Wix wasn't the best choice of web builder to use, however I didn't know the size of the task.

#2 Frankchester

Frankchester
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:11

Usually I would try to instruct someone on what e-commerce solutions they could use but honestly, looking at your business and your amount of products, you need to hire a developer.

#3 CraigP

CraigP
  • Supporter+
  • Mike's BFF
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:12

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Something for this many products you should look at Magneto

Usually I would try to instruct someone on what e-commerce solutions they could use but honestly, looking at your business and your amount of products, you need to hire a developer.

Or that

Push24 Creative - it's just who we are and what we do!
Get in Touch - craig@Push24Creative.co.uk

Follow Me - @craigpettit12 - @Push24Creative
+1 to those who help

#4 Frankchester

Frankchester
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:15

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Something for this many products you should look at Magneto

Or that

I don't think someone who's level of experience isn't high enough to make slideshows is going to wrap their heads around Magento, though that would probably be the best platform to develop on. They should investigate a Magento developer.

#5 CraigP

CraigP
  • Supporter+
  • Mike's BFF
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:18

I don't think someone who's level of experience isn't high enough to make slideshows is going to wrap their heads around Magento, though that would probably be the best platform to develop on. They should investigate a Magento developer.

I didn't even read that far into the post. Lol

+1 to those who help

#6 Inspired

Inspired
  • Supporter
  • Advanced Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:26

Agree. Hire a Magento developer.

Web designer, UX flavoured. Opinionated. Caffeinated.

Opining at @nternetinspired and standing my ground at http://internet-inspired.com. I also make the best responsive Joomla templates in town.

Joomla UX Team Leader.

#7 brightonmike

brightonmike
  • Global Mod
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:00

As the others say, judging by your level and experience, this is taking on too much.

I would shudder at this job, and I have several years experience.

Yeah - seriously, you need to hire someone. These scale E-Com jobs are expensive too, think over the £10k mark.

http://michaelgunner.co.uk/

Awesome free web meet up in Surrey: http://418conf.co.uk/

#8 chloelawrance

chloelawrance
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:39

Oh gosh, thanks for the help.

I'm doing an apprenticeship and I'm basically doing all the web (they know I'm not that experienced).

Maybe for now I will just make the website without the products area and do that in the future and teach myself as I go along.

If I get a web developer it will defeat the point of my own job, unless I take control of maintaining the website and the quote forms once it's finished.

#9 brightonmike

brightonmike
  • Global Mod
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:45

Oh gosh, thanks for the help.

I'm doing an apprenticeship and I'm basically doing all the web (they know I'm not that experienced).

Maybe for now I will just make the website without the products area and do that in the future and teach myself as I go along.

If I get a web developer it will defeat the point of my own job, unless I take control of maintaining the website and the quote forms once it's finished.

I totally understand where you're coming from and I think that may be a more sensible approach, and dropping Wix to take up coding is also something I personally admire.

Look up Treehouse/Codacademy, some great resources to help you.

#10 chloelawrance

chloelawrance
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:50

Yes, it's really starting to bewilder me, most of the others I know doing an apprentice in web design are working for web design companies and helping out, however I'm creating the entire website for the company and I also feel like there needs to be a bigger team haha.

I will definitely continue coding, do you know of any courses I could take which are on-line that will help? Or shall I just use the ones you referred to?

#11 CraigP

CraigP
  • Supporter+
  • Mike's BFF
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:52

I will definitely continue coding, do you know of any courses I could take which are on-line that will help? Or shall I just use the ones you referred to?

Those two are pretty spot on,

Team treehouse costs monthly, but like nothing, 20 quid or something. Well worth it!! 

+1 to those who help

#12 chloelawrance

chloelawrance
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:54

Ok fabulous! 

I've used code academy before so I shall pick up where I left off. I'll do the trial on the Treehouse also

Thankyou :)

#13 brightonmike

brightonmike
  • Global Mod
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:49

Please do keep coming back here with any help you need and to let us know how you're getting on. We might not be so keen to help with Wix (we see it as the devil) but any coding stuff feel free.

#14 Frankchester

Frankchester
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:53

Ok fabulous! 

I've used code academy before so I shall pick up where I left off. I'll do the trial on the Treehouse also

Thankyou :)

Do people often purchase the products via the website? It seems to me more something that people are happy to call up and order, as they need to discuss requirements with your company.

I'd focus on making a really nice informational site with a product list and simply have the call-to-action be a telephone or web enquiry. You'll learn a lot and not stress yourself out with e-commerce.

#15 chloelawrance

chloelawrance
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:03

Please do keep coming back here with any help you need and to let us know how you're getting on. We might not be so keen to help with Wix (we see it as the devil) but any coding stuff feel free.

Haha understood Sir 

Do people often purchase the products via the website? It seems to me more something that people are happy to call up and order, as they need to discuss requirements with your company.

I'd focus on making a really nice informational site with a product list and simply have the call-to-action be a telephone or web enquiry. You'll learn a lot and not stress yourself out with e-commerce.

No usually it would just be a quote over the phone or email, the old website just had a few pics on saying 'we provide this call us for more details' but it was very brief. 

That's a good idea and what I initially thought. I expected to be just showing the product but they wanted it so you can add it and order online. Problem is that the prices change yearly so it can't be an online purchase otherwise I would have to change everything so it would be easier as a quote. Not forgetting adding about 20 different options per product. 

For now I will just remove the add to cart buttons and just show the product, there's nothing wrong with the customer writing down what they want or emailing it over, I shall keep it simple for now.

Edited by chloelawrance, 28 October 2014 - 12:03.

#16 Frankchester

Frankchester
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:41

Haha understood Sir 

No usually it would just be a quote over the phone or email, the old website just had a few pics on saying 'we provide this call us for more details' but it was very brief. 

That's a good idea and what I initially thought. I expected to be just showing the product but they wanted it so you can add it and order online. Problem is that the prices change yearly so it can't be an online purchase otherwise I would have to change everything so it would be easier as a quote. Not forgetting adding about 20 different options per product. 

For now I will just remove the add to cart buttons and just show the product, there's nothing wrong with the customer writing down what they want or emailing it over, I shall keep it simple for now.

I think you should focus on just making that process clear. Have some information about how to order and lay out the data in such a way that it makes it obvious. You can do some research on good user journeys. One of my favourite books is "Don't Make Me Think" which discusses this sort of thing (you can read it in about 2 hours). 

If you lay down the process for ordering in a really easy way then customers won't have to overthink what they're doing. What you really want is: customer chooses product (product code), customer is presented with any options they can have (maybe have add-on codes), instruct customer to jot down these numbers and then provide them with an easy CTA for the next process to call and request a quote with the numbers they've written down.

#17 chloelawrance

chloelawrance
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 13:19

So do you think I should still do all of this using Wix? I would like to use something slightly more acceptable but I don't know which way to go. I would like to just get my website up and running for now whilst I learn more about coding. 

I won't be able to call myself a web designer if all I have used is Wix haha.

#18 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Overlord
  • Code Poet
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:03

Haha understood Sir 

Magento seems like it would be a very good fit for this. I've done a fair bit of work with it, so if you decide to go down that route feel free to get in touch and I can tailor something to fit your budget.

A few of the many benefits would be:

• Ability to manage products in bulk by uploading a CSV file
  • Product options and attributes would be easy to set up
  • People could actually buy online with a couple of clicks, which is a lot less hassle for them than relaying card details over the phone
  • You can build a targeted list and send a regular email newsletter with an opt-in at checkout
  • It's a lot cheaper than manning the phones to take orders, and works 24/7

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

Was this post helpful? Buy me a beer.

#19 chloelawrance

chloelawrance
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:01

Magento seems like it would be a very good fit for this. I've done a fair bit of work with it, so if you decide to go down that route feel free to get in touch and I can tailor something to fit your budget.

A few of the many benefits would be:

• Ability to manage products in bulk by uploading a CSV file
  • Product options and attributes would be easy to set up
  • People could actually buy online with a couple of clicks, which is a lot less hassle for them than relaying card details over the phone
  • You can build a targeted list and send a regular email newsletter with an opt-in at checkout
  • It's a lot cheaper than manning the phones to take orders, and works 24/7

Ok, so with this in mind a few key points I would like to have would be 

1. The ability to customise myself. The main aim for me needing a developer is for the product and stock side of things, is there an option for this? Would I be able to design the website myself and then implement the product system later from a developer?
  2. I would like to maintain the website myself, possibly change prices and add a few more bits or photos. Would I be able to do this or would the developer have to keep complete control?

I have done a bit of research on Magento but I don't fully understand the concept, my biggest issue lies at the product side of things and having something which can easily handle all the data and product codes.

For example there may be a channel (e.g. P1000) which is slotted (T)  available in 3m or 6m (X3 or X6) and available finishes of High Gloss (HG) Stainless Steel (SS) or pre-galvanised (PG) 

A 3m slotted stainless steel channel would be the equivalent to a code such as P1000TX3SS

I like the idea of having someone choose a product and then choosing what length (possibly a custom length) and the finish they want but I didn't know whether I would be able to make those options match a code on our system, or whether when an order comes in I would personally have to convert what they have ordered into something which is understood by our system. (I am not entirely sure how this works as I have only just started working here)

If that makes sense? 

Thanks for your help and time 

Oh and also whilst I was researching Magento I noiced something mentioned about catalogues. We would like to have a product catalogue which matches the theme and colour scheme of our website, but are not in a rush to get this done and I wouldn't mind doing it from scratch, but are there options for this on magento?

#20 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Overlord
  • Code Poet
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 19:22

Ok, so with this in mind a few key points I would like to have would be

• The ability to customise myself. The main aim for me needing a developer is for the product and stock side of things, is there an option for this? Would I be able to design the website myself and then implement the product system later from a developer?

Possible, yes - but there's a bit of a learning curve and if you've never designed an ecommerce site before you'll need advice, because even the smallest changes can have a huge effect on the bottom line.

• I would like to maintain the website myself, possibly change prices and add a few more bits or photos. Would I be able to do this or would the developer have to keep complete control?

You'd easily be able to control everything through the admin panel.

I have done a bit of research on Magento but I don't fully understand the concept, my biggest issue lies at the product side of things and having something which can easily handle all the data and product codes.
For example there may be a channel (e.g. P1000) which is slotted (T)  available in 3m or 6m (X3 or X6) and available finishes of High Gloss (HG) Stainless Steel (SS) or pre-galvanised (PG) 
A 3m slotted stainless steel channel would be the equivalent to a code such as P1000TX3SS

I like the idea of having someone choose a product and then choosing what length (possibly a custom length) and the finish they want but I didn't know whether I would be able to make those options match a code on our system, or whether when an order comes in I would personally have to convert what they have ordered into something which is understood by our system. (I am not entirely sure how this works as I have only just started working here)

If that makes sense?

So something like this? I can PM you the login details if you want to play around with it.

Oh and also whilst I was researching Magento I noiced something mentioned about catalogues. We would like to have a product catalogue which matches the theme and colour scheme of our website, but are not in a rush to get this done and I wouldn't mind doing it from scratch, but are there options for this on magento?

In the Magento documentation "catalogue" refers to all the products in the website. Producing a print catalogue to match would be possible, but not automatically from Magento and you'd need higher-resolution photography than you use on the web. It's usually best to create the website and the print catalogue from the same data source, but not mix the two up as they're very different workflows.

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

Was this post helpful? Buy me a beer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wix, code, quote forms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users