Photo

Wordpress - Softaculous - Brick wall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 juliam

juliam
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 21:21

Hi guys, I'm seriously frustrated beyond belief so please can you offer me some advice. 

So, from the beginning, I asked my hosting site if I can install Wordpress onto my reseller account so I can create my website and then clients sites. I was told no I'd have to create sub domains and install on each. 

So, off I go, I create sub domains and install WP on my account for my website. I then try and install on SD and I cannot because WP is already installed. frustration setting in here. 

I then call hosting company and get told I have to use the WHM. I send screenshots of my cPanel as I cannot find the WHM icon. They then refresh it so that it appears. Not good in my eyes. 

So, I am then told I need to create accounts and packages in WHM. I do this. I'm then told to install WP through Softaculous as I do not need to create with SDs. I cannot see Softaculous so again send screenshots of cPanel to them. I call them as I'm waiting over three hours if not overnight for a response to email. They then refresh the cPanel so that Softaculous appears. 

In the meantime I've screwed up my website and lost everything, deleted packages and databases etc thinking if I start from scratch I'll actually get somewhere. 

So yesterday, I managed to install WP via Softaculous onto my website, logged in and can use it. 

I install WP via softaculous onto my clients website via WHM (bear in mind they are on a different nameserver and so I do not want to overwrite what they have. Instead I want to create a new website for him ready to go live when we transfer to my host). 

I cannot go onto the client's account under my hosting account to actually activate WP and use it. 

I send that info back to my hosting company for them to tell the intodns is elsewhere (which I know and have explained the point of me having a reseller account). 

With all this mind, the hosting company is 9-5. Should I look for a different hosting company with 24hr support, is there such a thing? Am I actually getting value for money? I don't feel I am and I'm getting more help from you guys in all honesty. This brick wall I keep hitting seems to be getting higher and higher. 

I appreciate I am a novice on web design/development and really do expect hurdles across the way. I'm willing to learn, right now I'm not feeling the hosting love.  What am I doing wrong

#2 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 20:23

Time to find a new company because they sound like absolute shits.

More importantly, and this is the best advice you'll get, don;t host your clients sites unless you have full server control and know what you're doing.

There's a ton of reasons why not but i'll give you two... 

1. You can't offer your clients support: You're merely the middle man, reliant on your hosts to fix issues and respond within a quicker time frame than you offer your clients
  2. You're legally liable: If your host screws up, on your head be it. If a clients business site goes down, chances are you're legally liable for any loss of profits even if it wasn't your fault.

#3 brightonmike

brightonmike
  • Global Mod
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:00

Hosting clients websites is always, always more trouble than it's worth. Leave the hosting to hosting experts.

http://michaelgunner.co.uk/

Awesome free web meet up in Surrey: http://418conf.co.uk/

#4 PipeTenHostingCarl

PipeTenHostingCarl
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 13:31

I wouldn't be so negative about hosting websites on behalf of your customers, assuming you are covering your time, liability and adding value (we found hosting to be a better market than our design/development and so have focused purely on hosting for the last 10+ years).

A good web host would resolve the majority of the problems highlighted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users