Adding different shipping fees to different items on WooCommerce

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nightofjoy

nightofjoy
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:13

Hi.

Just like the title says really. I currently have a single shipping fee for the items I have on sale, even though they're different sizes and weights. Very different. This is because when I was setting up my woocommerce site I couldn't see how to apply different shipping fees for different items.

I could really do with changing this. Does anyone know how or if it's possible?

I only have a free theme and wondered if maybe this is a feature you only get with pay themes... or if I've just missed it.

Thanks.

#2 Paul_likes_the_ocean

Paul_likes_the_ocean
  • Hefty Member
  • Sausage Pants
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:52

This link should help you out http://docs.wootheme...riable-product/

“I have enough unknowns in my surfing life and my oracle life without you adding a whole ‘nother life” Olaf 

www.simpler-life.com

#3 nightofjoy

nightofjoy
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:49

Cool! Thanks Paul. I'll have a good read through that when I get in later :)

#4 Paul_likes_the_ocean

Paul_likes_the_ocean
  • Hefty Member
  • Sausage Pants
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 16:44

Cool! Thanks Paul. I'll have a good read through that when I get in later :)

You'll both love and hate woocommerce variables in equal measure by the end of it (unless it's radically changed in the last 6 months)

“I have enough unknowns in my surfing life and my oracle life without you adding a whole ‘nother life” Olaf 

www.simpler-life.com

#5 nightofjoy

nightofjoy
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:01

This link should help you out http://docs.wootheme...riable-product/

Actuually, now I've had chance to have a proper look at the page, I can't see that it shows me how to do what I want.

I already have different attributes for some items, as some are t-shirts which are in different sizes, but say I sell t-shirts and teapots, I still can't see where to charge a different shipping amount for one than I do the other :mad:

And on top of that, I'm about to add international shipping on the t-shirts too, so that'll add even more fun. Actually that might not be too bad as I remember when I was setting up the site I saw an area for adding international shipping....

So lets say exactly what I need.

I have a current shipping price of £2.99 which covers all products. The t-shirts ship for less than other items, but I couldn't find out how to apply a specific shipping cost to that product only, across all sizes, so as a temporary measure to be able to pass the saving on to my customers, I knocked a pound off the t-shirts.

That's ok for a quick fix but as I expand and produce more products, I'm going to need to be able to apply different shipping costs for each. If I start selling ovens, I can't charge the same shipping as for t-shirts, nor can I ship tees at the same shipping cost as ovens.

If the feature on Woo is there, I'm not seeing it.

Also I can't see just how to apply international shipping to certain items either.

The problem seems to be that in dashboard, all of the shipping elements, price, paypal, local, domestic etc seem to be under the main WOOCOMMERCE menu header on the left, but all of the actual stock items are in the separate section PRODUCTS below that. Wouldn't you think that products should be a sub menu of woocommerce?

#6 Paul_likes_the_ocean

Paul_likes_the_ocean
  • Hefty Member
  • Sausage Pants
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 18:41

Couldn't you just make a different shipping class and add that to the product? Or go down the route of linking variations Say Special T-shirt + new-shipping=class ?

www.simpler-life.com

#7 nightofjoy

nightofjoy
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 19:06

Couldn't you just make a different shipping class and add that to the product? Or go down the route of linking variations Say Special T-shirt + new-shipping=class ?

I haven't touched shipping classes yet. How would I go about that? I'd ideally want an EU shipping price then a 'rest of world' one. Both fixed, no need for quantity or weight specifics. Then I can just apply that setting to the different t-shirt designs as I add them to the site. If push came to shove I could probably make do with a single overseas price (outside of uk) that includes EU....

Thanks.

#8 nightofjoy

nightofjoy
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:35

Hi guys.

Thought I'd add to and boost this.

I have a guy rebuilding my site from the ground up.

I have the Bolder Elements Table Rate Shipping plugin, but we can't get it to do what I need.

I have two types of product on my site. Lets say A) & B).

A) ships internationally, B) only domestically (within the UK).

So I need to have four shipping zones - 1 UK, 2 EU, 3 rest of world zone 1, and 4 rest of world zone 2.

So I need product B) setting up somehow so they can't be shipped outside of the UK, even if the customer tries to buy it along side product A) which does ship overseas.

Also, some kind of alert telling international customers why they can't complete the checkout with product B in the basket would be good too.

I can't find a basic tutorial showing me each stage, so I wondered, has anyone on here set up TRS to work like this, and can you share the setup?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users