Photo

Please recommend an ecommerce solution

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Spinoza

Spinoza
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 16:48

I've not worked on an ecommerce site for a while, but have one coming up.

There will be around 200 products, so not big by any means, but bigger than yer average Paypal button jobber.

Ideally I'd like a secure cloud solution instead of faffing around with open source then being at the mercy of unresponsive forum threads if problems crop up (hello OpenCart).

On the other hand, I want to be able to get in and customise the design as much as possible, by which I mean CSS and HTML rather than colour wheels and logo upload areas.

Also:

- no transaction fees from the cart provider

- mobile optimised

- support a Sage Pay gateway

- multiple currencies

- weight-based delivery (and ability to change those delivery costs for different geographical regions)

I know that's quite specific so you probably won't have the answer in your head, but I'm keen to know what you've used that lies somewhere between My First Paypal Cart and Magento. 

UK support would be ideal but not essential.

I wasn't planning on using WordPress but I keep seeing WooCommerce mentioned. Is relying on a WordPress plugin for ecommerce really a good idea in terms of security? Even if WordPress is hardened, I'm still not sure I would trust it. :-/

#2 Inspired

Inspired
  • Supporter
  • Advanced Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 19:11

Shopify is the only e-commerce platform I recommend nowadays, all the pita stuff is handled by someone else, it's the most cost-effective e-commerce, solution IMO and you can customise any which way you like (it's an absolute joy to work with). Most importantly, UX is top-notch, out-of-the-box and you can have something up and running in a matter of days.

At the moment though, you can't sell in multiple currencies, though you can show prices in multiple currencies.

Web designer, UX flavoured. Opinionated. Caffeinated.

Opining at @nternetinspired and standing my ground at http://internet-inspired.com. I also make the best responsive Joomla templates in town.

Joomla UX Team Leader.

#3 Spinoza

Spinoza
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 20:04

Thanks for that recommendation.

Actually multiple currency selling isn't a deal breaker.

The bigger problem with Shopify (for this client at least) will be the percentage-based transaction fee, because he has high value products. His current gateway Sage Pay charge a fixed amount (pence) per transaction. Because of that, I'm not sure I'll be able to convince him to switch (which is a shame because I'd quite like to try my hand at Shopify).

#4 Lewwy

Lewwy
  • Global Mod
  • Mr. T
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 21:38

Shopify is the only e-commerce platform I recommend nowadays, all the pita stuff is handled by someone else, it's the most cost-effective e-commerce, solution IMO and you can customise any which way you like (it's an absolute joy to work with). Most importantly, UX is top-notch, out-of-the-box and you can have something up and running in a matter of days.

At the moment though, you can't sell in multiple currencies, though you can show prices in multiple currencies.

Full disclosure; that's an affiliate link. 

While I don't doubt that Inspired's comments are genuine (as I use Shopify, and agree with everything he's said), he does stand to make money should anyone sign up through it.

I've got one too. Don't click it though.

#5 Spinoza

Spinoza
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 22:46

You trickster, you know full well that there's no bigger incentive to click than those two little words: "Don't click"  :spiteful:

Out of interest, do you both pitch Shopify to your clients?

And if so, have you been met with any resistance when you tell them about the % transaction fees?

Also, what do you use when Shopify isn't right for the job?

#6 Inspired

Inspired
  • Supporter
  • Advanced Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 00:07

CLICK IT!!

Seriously though, I truly wouldn't recommend anything else, affiliate or not, and I certainly don't like to work with anything else, affiliate or not.

Yes, I pitch Shopify to my clients bigtime. It's the best fit for them 99.99% of the time.

No resistance to fees, all my clients use Shopify payments so there's no need for merchant banking services, making it an attractive low-cost solution. Money changing hands? You're going to pay someone, somewhere along the line, there's no avoiding it. The best thing? Just do the maths, add it all up (including development costs, hosting, etc.) and I think you'll find Shopify comes out as a very low-cost solution. I used to do e-commerce with open-source, but it always ends up costing far more and being a far less business-friendly solution.

Personally, e-commerce jobs that aren't a fit for Shopify, I now politely decline. I love open-source, but not when it is just going to bring me and my client a ton of pain.

Web designer, UX flavoured. Opinionated. Caffeinated.

Opining at @nternetinspired and standing my ground at http://internet-inspired.com. I also make the best responsive Joomla templates in town.

Joomla UX Team Leader.

#7 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:34

I love open-source, but not when it is just going to bring me and my client a ton of pain.

This every time. That's the problem with OpenSource eCom stuff, 99% of the time it's a PITA, and it's a misnomer too, as most of the stuff you'll have to pay for in the end and will be locked down in some way.

Not used Shopify myself, but may be soon.

#8 Paul_likes_the_ocean

Paul_likes_the_ocean
  • Hefty Member
  • Sausage Pants
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 20:20

Ghosts of Volusion are springing to mind but Shopify looks the nuts!

“I have enough unknowns in my surfing life and my oracle life without you adding a whole ‘nother life” Olaf 

www.simpler-life.com

#9 Spinoza

Spinoza
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 21:31

That brings back painful memories Paul.

I spent some time with Volusion a few years ago. Toying with her, playing with her, tweaking her. 

Unfortunately all I ended up with was a nasty rash.

#10 Paul_likes_the_ocean

Paul_likes_the_ocean
  • Hefty Member
  • Sausage Pants
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 22:46

That brings back painful memories Paul.

I spent some time with Volusion a few years ago. Toying with her, playing with her, tweaking her. 

Unfortunately all I ended up with was a nasty rash.

The most unintuitive interfaces ever!

“I have enough unknowns in my surfing life and my oracle life without you adding a whole ‘nother life” Olaf 

www.simpler-life.com

#11 Tom_FallingBrick

Tom_FallingBrick
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:55

Maybe try PrestaShop, it's great e-commerce platform. Lot of modules and huge support community.

#12 brucekenway

brucekenway
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:41

Great question, you can use builtwith to know which E-commerce platform is trending now. Actually, Shopify and Magento are 2 best E-commerce solution, but if you are using Wordpress, maybe you want to try WooCommerce. However, I really hate WooCommerce, free to use but it's really crap, lack of useful function for E-commerce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users