.com vs .co.uk

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dilby00

dilby00
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 15:38

Hi all -

I have a website that has both a .co.uk and .com domain. The .com domain has a small but okay citation and trust score while the .co.uk is newly registered so has neither. I've been told by others that the .co.uk is better for seo as I'm selling to UK customers, but is this a bit of an exaggerated fact? I'm more inclined to go with my gut and keep using the .com ; has anyone had good experienced of this?

Thanks

#2 ryan

ryan
  • Global Mod
  • Young 'un
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 20:31

Hard one. .com is good if you're targeting global market, .co.uk a little bit better SEO wise. I'd stick with the .com I think, if you've already built it up.

Freelance Web Designer 
@ryangittings

Have I helped? If you want, you can show me some  :wub: and buy me a beer!beer.png

#3 DigitalSquid

DigitalSquid
  • Overlord
  • Squidministrator
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 20:55

The only real difference in SEO terms will be with local or geo-location based searches. They will always favour local factors - like country specific domains and servers/IP ranges in the same continent. So unless you're specifically targeting those, it doesn't matter. Especially as tools like Google Search Console will let you pick which country you're looking to target in search results.

However, from my experience and some of the UX studies that I've read, it seems that people's perceptions are also a factor with TLDs. People in the UK will be more familiar and more trusting of .co.uk (or the more recent .uk) domains as they're more used to seeing them. They get the UK versions of all the big sites they use - Google, Amazon, eBay, Facebook, etc... so it's sort of a subliminal expectation. If they see a list of similar sites on a page of search results, a portion of them will be drawn to the .uk options (and vice-versa for other countries and their relevant TLDs).

TL;DR - I'd go with the .co.uk

More than happy to help for free but if you want to show some love back, either give me an up-vote or buy me a beer!

www.digitalsquid.net
@Digital_Squid

#4 dilby00

dilby00
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:27

Hi both - thanks for the replies. Yup it's tricky and there's pros and cons to both.

A company came in and did a little seo work on the .com and it was the primary domain for about 2 years. Nothing crazy, but it has a trust flow of 2, citation of 13 and about 200 backlinks. Some of these backlinks look pretty bad quality, with lots of bad link farms in it, but it doesn't seem to have mattered yet and I could just disavow them.

My theory was that a lot of the competitors use .com, and that a user searching may see a .co.uk in a line of .com and feel more comfy clicking it.

However I suppose it's short term loss for long term gain - i'm not sure how long it will take to earn that domain trust if I check all the boxes.

#5 Nock

Nock
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:34

I'd use the .co.uk and redirect the .com traffic to it. It shouldn't take long for the DA to increase on the .co.uk site based on the fact that a high DA site is redirecting traffic to it.

Whatever you do, make sure you don't have the same content on both .co.uk and .com sites as you don't want to be penalised for duplicate content!

Edited by Nock, 07 October 2015 - 10:35.

#6 ryan

ryan
  • Global Mod
  • Young 'un
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 19:35

TL;DR - I'd go with the .co.uk

The more I think about it, the more I agree. .co.uk is far more trustworthy for me. Stick a redirect from the .com, be worth it in the end I think.  

Freelance Web Designer 
@ryangittings

Have I helped? If you want, you can show me some  :wub: and buy me a beer!beer.png

#7 dilby00

dilby00
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:32

Thanks guys! That's what I've done - in the end I took your advice and also just spoke to the site owners; It helped to have an open and frank discussion about the risk and reward, and that I don't know all the answers, but this is what my gut said. They agreed and we're happy. I'm learning more and more how much this kind of approach helps.

#8 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:52

Long and short of it is, if you're a UK based company working within the UK, use a UK based TLD. It's what it's intended for. When i'm browsing Google myself, i'll always click a .co.uk over a .com purely because i'm sure it'll lead me to a UK based site, narrowing down the number of chances of going to a non-UK site immensely.

#9 harrythomas

harrythomas
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:35

I think you should use .com domain, It will help you to get customers globally while.Co.uk help to you get ranked well in the UK. If you have your target audience in the UK, then you set redirect.Co.uk to, com. This may help you get the benefits of both the thing. 

#10 ossisto

ossisto
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 13:48

Its completely depends on your target market whom you are targeting if you are targeting only the people of UK than just go for .co.uk so you will get advantage when you do SEO for your website and if you are targeting the customer globally than just go for the .com so it will help you

I guess this information will help you to decide whether you will go for .co.uk  or .com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users