Advice for new e-commerce site build

ecommerce design build magento moonfruit front-end

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pittface5

pittface5
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:52

Hi everyone, need a bit of advice for building a new site-I'm starting up a leather bag and accessories brand in the UK. I have the domain sorted, logo designed, the factory are making the samples etc. but I'm stuck on making the decision about the website/online shop. I'm torn between the DIY approach and making the site myself through moonfruit to save money, or putting it to a service like people per hour and have someone build something a lot more customized through Magento. Basically this is what I NEED it to do:

1. A really easy to use shop and checkout process, simple design
  2. Customer login so customers can save their details
  3. A beautiful, clean homepage design with at least 3 image panels and ideally a scroller
  4. Relatable products so customers can switch between different colours of a particular design
  5. Ability to use discount codes and vouchers
  6. Social media sharing- to be able to share images from the site on instagram, pinterest, Facebook and Twitter
  7. A really easy to navigate blog space. Again, with the ability to share through social channels.
  8. A pop-up to encourage newsletter sign-up, linked to mailchimp.
  9. set up for SEO and can be linked with google analytics

And these are the things I'd like but aren't essential:

1. Filters by design or colour, eg. a way to just show purses, messengers bags, red bags etc.
  2. An instagram feed somewhere on the site to encourage new followers

I'm really hoping to grow the business as much as possible over the next few years, so the marketing and data collection are so so important, but I don't want to compromise on design AND as I'm only starting up it's really important to keep costs to a minimum...does anyone have any advice on what's the best route to go down??

Thanks in advance for any input smile.png

#2 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:17

Welcome to the forum!

Is the online shop going to be your main/sole source of selling? If so, why would you ever consider going DIY through something like Moonfruit? Build your own services such as Moonfruit, Wix and the ilk just lack professionalism, the code is often horrific and bloated, leading to insecure, slow, under performing sites. I'm pretty sure that's not the image you want your company to portray.

Going DIY isn't always a bad thing, and i actively encourage people to get their hands dirty and give it a go, but when it's your actual business at stake, it's really worth getting out there, finding a professional and paying the money for a well designed, well performing eCommerce site.

With that being said, you wont get much better if you go to People Per Hour or Freelancer, as these sites are awash with under priced hobbiests or the dregs of the offshore world all vying to do your site for as little as possible and to invest as little time in the job as possible.

Do some research, find a professional designer/developer who works in ecommerce, have a look at their previous work and make the decision based on that.

If you're paying anything less than 3k for a basic eCommerce site, then I'd be concerned.

#3 pittface5

pittface5
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:48

Hi and thank you!

That's really helpful, no one has been able to advise a ballpark figure for how much an ecommerce site should cost and I didn't realise Moonfruit was a bad option, I've only heard people running small shops saying they've found it fairly easy to set up. 

Are their any resources you recommend to find someone other than those sites? I've asked around but everyone I know works with huge agencies that charge tens of thousands to build the kind of site I'm hoping for...

Welcome to the forum!

Is the online shop going to be your main/sole source of selling? If so, why would you ever consider going DIY through something like Moonfruit? Build your own services such as Moonfruit, Wix and the ilk just lack professionalism, the code is often horrific and bloated, leading to insecure, slow, under performing sites. I'm pretty sure that's not the image you want your company to portray.

Going DIY isn't always a bad thing, and i actively encourage people to get their hands dirty and give it a go, but when it's your actual business at stake, it's really worth getting out there, finding a professional and paying the money for a well designed, well performing eCommerce site.

With that being said, you wont get much better if you go to People Per Hour or Freelancer, as these sites are awash with under priced hobbiests or the dregs of the offshore world all vying to do your site for as little as possible and to invest as little time in the job as possible.

Do some research, find a professional designer/developer who works in ecommerce, have a look at their previous work and make the decision based on that.

If you're paying anything less than 3k for a basic eCommerce site, then I'd be concerned.

#4 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:24

Hi and thank you!

That's really helpful, no one has been able to advise a ballpark figure for how much an ecommerce site should cost and I didn't realise Moonfruit was a bad option, I've only heard people running small shops saying they've found it fairly easy to set up. 

Are their any resources you recommend to find someone other than those sites? I've asked around but everyone I know works with huge agencies that charge tens of thousands to build the kind of site I'm hoping for...

No problem, we find there's a certain air of mystery around the industry and those on the outside don't always understand the pitfalls of the cheap DIY route.

I'd rather they did and ended up making a success of their business.

We have a Looking to Hire section on this site which you can post in if you so require, also, try Googling for freelance web designers in your area, check out their sites, check out their work, contact a few of their previous clients and make up your mind that way.

It's not particularly easy, but then finding a professional to do anything is largely based on the idea of testimonials and previous work.

Good luck!

#5 brightonmike

brightonmike
  • Global Mod
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:43

At the agency I work at, if we were dealing with your enquiry we might recommend a WooCommerce build.

Magento is fantastic but also expensive. WooCommerce is an ecommerce plugin for WordPress. It would reduce your costs somewhat. As a very rough guide, we'd approach a WooCommerce job at around the £8,000+ mark whereas a Magento job would probably start at £15,000.

That'd be something fully bespoke too. It's right to want to keep costs down when you first start, but you also have to be aware there's still a minimum cost you need to be prepared to stick up to do this "properly".

If you can't and you do it on the cheap by using freebies, themes and page builders, you could kill your business stone dead. A proper build may be a higher up front cost but it's much more likely to be successful for your business.

http://michaelgunner.co.uk/

Awesome free web meet up in Surrey: http://418conf.co.uk/

#6 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Overlord
  • Code Poet
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 17:17

Agree with BM there: Magento sounds like overkill for this sort of site, especially as you want a well integrated blog (an area where Magento has always been a bit lacking). It's also a very heavy enterprise solution designed for folks who need to integrate with an existing supply chain and/or manage tens of thousands of projects. WP&Woo seems like a good fit for your requirements.

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

Was this post helpful? Buy me a beer.

#7 bespokedeveloper

bespokedeveloper
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:38

Leather bag and accessories niche is very competitive. It would be hard to optimize Moonfruit websites for SEO. There are number of options same as Moonfruit, such as Wix, tumblr etc. You can search web 2.0 sites for huge list of sites like these.

But these sites provide limited features to their users. You can’t optimize these kinds of mini-sites for search engines. You can’t export your data if you have to move to another server in future.  There are lots of helpful resources for WP but very limited for Moonfruit etc. No one can help you to learn about it.

WP is free, only you must have a domain name and a Hosting plan. You can also choose free hosting plans for your first year, but again these hosting servers are not much effective in SEO. You have to pay something to get something.

I recommend you to choose WP and learn how to install a new wp site, then increase your business step by step. If your business is online then you must keep in mind that search engines are most important part of business success. Follow the search engine guidelines or hire any industry expert.

You can check this link and follow the ecommerce SEO strategies.

I hope this will helps you to improve your online presence. http://ficode.com/ec...and-free-tools/

#8 brucekenway

brucekenway
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:47

Hi, for SEO advices, I believe everyone above are recommending you with the most sincere commends. But I want to give you some advices, if your site runs in Magento, you really should think about upgrading it to Magento 2. And as a retailer just like you, I find Magento 2 extension providers like Magestore, aheadworks and Amasty is different from Magento 1.x extensions A LOT. I would highly recommend you try and have a look at these extensions, because it is not just upgrading from M1, it is a new product: Magento 2 One Step Checkout, Magento 2 Gift Card, Magento 2 Affiliate

#9 ncodetechinc

ncodetechinc
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:15

I might recommend a PHP Language.

PHP is the most widely adopted among the ecommerce website developers across the globe. PHP is highly scalable and one of the easy to learn website development languages. It can be used as functional oriented and object oriented. It’s coding is different and needs little time to get acquainted with the coding style.

The great example is Magento has been developed in PHP. Magento is fantastic.

A proper build may be a higher up front cost but it's much more likely to be successful for your business.

#10 ncodetechinc

ncodetechinc
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:17

A New E-Commerce Site can be built using some careful tips.

Below is a list of all the steps we took to get started and successfully build our e-commerce site:

1.   Purchase a Domain Name

2.   Find a Web Developer

3.   Get all the Paperwork u need for a Legitimate Business

4.   Select ECommerce and Website Hosting Platform

5.   Find a Theme that matches Your ECommerce Vision

6.   Take Your Website LIVE

7.   Help a Reporter Out (HARO)

8.   Pitchbox

9.   Personalized Outreach

10. Get A Payment Gateway

11. Google Shopping + Facebook Product Catalog

12. Order Packaging and Figure out Shipping/Storage Options.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ecommerce, design, build, magento, moonfruit, front-end

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users