.London Domains - £4
Photo

Linking to my website from every blog post - bad idea?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ewantindale

ewantindale
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 23:14

Just wondering if this is bad for SEO. My mother has a blogspot.co.uk blog as well as a website from which she sells plants. I noticed that not many people were going from the blog to her website and that she only had one link at the top of the page that was fairly easy to miss if you're scrolling down to read the blog posts. My solution was to manually add a link to her website at the end of each post, so that when people finished reading they might go on to her site and buy something.

Because I added this to all her old posts as well, she now has about 160 links from her blog to her website and not many links from other websites. Is google likely to view this in a negative light? It's not done in a particularly spammy way on the blog, but the numbers look bad. I'm working on a hosted Wordpress site to combine her blog+website+shop together so this won't be such an issue once that's done, but I was just curious about the impact this would have on the domain's ranking.

#2 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:34

I'm no SEO expert, but what you're doing sounds like natural flow (you'd want to know more once you reached the end of the article) and it's quite common on other sites to have an 'About the author' box at the end of the article that links to their personal site.

Of course that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do and i'm as interested as you as to what some of the more up to date SEO guys here think.

#3 ryan

ryan
  • Global Mod
  • Young 'un
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:21

I'm no SEO expert either, but to me that seems fine. I would do something similar to improve conversions. Nothing to worry about!

Freelance Web Designer 
@ryangittings

Have I helped? If you want, you can show me some  :wub: and buy me a beer!beer.png

#4 Notbanksys Copy Shoppe

Notbanksys Copy Shoppe
  • Global Mod
  • Word Nerd
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:27

Seems fine to me, but from a copywriting/ sales/ marketing point of view I'd suggest making each link as relevant to the content of each specific blog. For example, if you're doing a post about pruning roses, make sure you link to the roses section of the plants website at the end. etc. Will spread the SEO benefit (assuming there is one) but will have the added benefit of pushing actual sales. 

Hope that helps.

Git up offa that thang: Copy Clinic #7: Write copy like a sex machine

The Brand New Copy Shoppe is now open for business!

Bounce rate higher than a kangaroo's trampoline party? Email me at tony [at] copyshoppe.co.uk

#5 ewantindale

ewantindale
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 16:04

Thank you for the helpful replies. I'll leave them up then.

#6 neilowen

neilowen
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:07

Google see's too many backlinks from one website as unnatural. My suggestion would be to add a nofollow rule on each link.

On the other hand, if its just one website and its just 160 links, I can't see Google really taking too much notice!

Join the Professional Web Design Directory today!

The highest ranked design directory in the UK (PR5)

#7 jannatul18

jannatul18
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:02

I am not seeing any issue here on this. If you are linking your own blog posts to your own website nothing wrong will happen as far as I know.

#8 Hatmarat

Hatmarat
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 19:33

Thank you for an interesting topic! Helpful and useful.

#9 webogenwebsolutions

webogenwebsolutions
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:58

It's fine. Don't think its a bad Idea. But make the links seems to be naturally. Otherwise, google treat it as spammy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users