.London Domains - £4
Photo

Looking for honest feedback on our new WebGL concept.

webgl babylon animation branding logo html web

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bedmal

bedmal
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 18:53

Good afternoon,

We have spent the last 6 months working on our website www.flux.ooo - which is a WebGL website designed to bring our logo to life and create a social interaction with the public all intrinsically linked to our tag FULFIL INNER POTENTIAL

There is an awful lot of animation and design work gone into creating the website, so I would like to invite critique. At this stage we can still change things, but we are due to launch our product page in the early part of 2017.

Please explore the concept, read some of the content posted by the public (drawn in through facebook ads since the recent launch of the beta) and add your own pixel to see the full animation and WebGL experience.

All feedback will be greatly received and I appreciate your time.

Regards,

L Smith

p.s happy to review anybody else's site; just ask

#2 Gibson

Gibson
  • Hefty Member
  • Flogging Gibbo
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 20:36

Hmmm... receiving the messages "Please ensure your sound is turned on" followed by "Update your browser" was not personally a good start for me.

I'll try later on my more modern computer.

#3 bedmal

bedmal
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 20:47

Hmmm... receiving the messages "Please ensure your sound is turned on" followed by "Update your browser" was not personally a good start for me.

I'll try later on my more modern computer.

I appreciate that - but that was a sacrifice we decided on before launching in order to do the concept We built a back-up lite version, but for the concept to function, it requires the latest updates of browsers. by the time our product launch next year, most browsers will be upto date. Thanks for your feedback

Edited by MikeChipshop, 12 December 2016 - 08:33.
Replaced all caps reply

#4 Gibson

Gibson
  • Hefty Member
  • Flogging Gibbo
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 21:35

This was on Firefox 50.0.2. Not exactly an out of date browser.

#5 bedmal

bedmal
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 22:12

Thats very peculiar; will look into that thanks, shouldn't be a problem on that of course.

Thanks

#6 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Overlord
  • Code Poet
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 23:46

Buckle up, this is going to be harsh.

• Autoplaying audio is poor UX
  • A splash video that starts by asking "What is flux?" then bangs on for a further 20 seconds of self-absorbed waffle without answering the question. What is flux? I still don't know. Most people will either skip the intro or hit the Back button within a handful of seconds.
  • Skipping the intro I get to a page that fails silently in Firefox. Switching to Chrome shows what it's supposed to do, but I have multiple browsers. Anyone who just uses Firefox will think it's a zooming into your logo simulator.
  • Copy is incredibly poor - same vague language as the intro video, still doesn't explain what the site is about with any clarity.
  • Poking around it seems to be a PostSecret clone wrapped up in an unnecessary tech demo that obscures the content and makes it more difficult to navigate - the exact opposite of good design.

As a showcase for WebGL technology? Great job. As a website, it has very little to recommend it.

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

Was this post helpful? Buy me a beer.

#7 Gibson

Gibson
  • Hefty Member
  • Flogging Gibbo
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 23:54

Seeing as of yet I can't see the site, is it a site about Flux, the technology that's used to manage state etc. for example in Redux for Reactjs?

#8 bedmal

bedmal
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:51

Buckle up, this is going to be harsh.

• Autoplaying audio is poor UX
  • A splash video that starts by asking "What is flux?" then bangs on for a further 20 seconds of self-absorbed waffle without answering the question. What is flux? I still don't know. Most people will either skip the intro or hit the Back button within a handful of seconds.
  • Skipping the intro I get to a page that fails silently in Firefox. Switching to Chrome shows what it's supposed to do, but I have multiple browsers. Anyone who just uses Firefox will think it's a zooming into your logo simulator.
  • Copy is incredibly poor - same vague language as the intro video, still doesn't explain what the site is about with any clarity.
  • Poking around it seems to be a PostSecret clone wrapped up in an unnecessary tech demo that obscures the content and makes it more difficult to navigate - the exact opposite of good design.

As a showcase for WebGL technology? Great job. As a website, it has very little to recommend it.

Thanks for your feedback.

As it happens, many of your points reflect my own notes - different to many feedbacks I've had, but I am clear that we need to remove the intro now, thanks for that.

In terms of copy, your point is very valid, but at this stage it is a beta and I can't add the real copy until the products are ready to launch (this will then make the concept more clear).

In terms of poor design, do you mean the logo? Or the site? - I should explain further that this isn't so much a website that we're looking to take off. It is a brand building site, for which users will be directed to from our poster campaigns and product gumpf. We found that for our particular products, people do not visit websites, so as not to render the web exposure useless, we decided to build something totally different that has the potential to at least wow (WEBGL experience) and establish what the logo stands for - In the same way Nike pushed JUST DO IT years ago and Red Bull pushed Gives you wings through unusual ad mediums. The concept I understand is unclear until the full site is functioning, but based on this short explanation of what this section of the site is actually for i.e. brand builder to reinforce our tagline, do you still feel the wow is better achieved through the bog standard design routes, savvy in the knowledge that our consumer base will not ordinarily visit the site otherwise?

Many thanks for your feedback, the more honest the better for me so thanks

#9 bedmal

bedmal
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:14

Seeing as of yet I can't see the site, is it a site about Flux, the technology that's used to manage state etc. for example in Redux for Reactjs?

Hi Gibson

No it isn't. It is a concept that our product consumers will be directed to. It is merely a brand builder. Hopefully it will wow users, underpin our tagline of FULFIL INNER POTENTIAL and most importantly, make the logo memorable.

#10 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Overlord
  • Code Poet
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 13:56

We found that for our particular products, people do not visit websites, so as not to render the web exposure useless, we decided to build something totally different that has the potential to at least wow (WEBGL experience) and establish what the logo stands for - In the same way Nike pushed JUST DO IT years ago and Red Bull pushed Gives you wings through unusual ad mediums. The concept I understand is unclear until the full site is functioning, but based on this short explanation of what this section of the site is actually for i.e. brand builder to reinforce our tagline, do you still feel the wow is better achieved through the bog standard design routes, savvy in the knowledge that our consumer base will not ordinarily visit the site otherwise?

Many thanks for your feedback, the more honest the better for me so thanks

That's a tricky one. If you've done the research that suggests your market segment don't visit websites for your product I'd probably have put up the simplest of pages with company info and put those six months into something else - Youtube or TV ads, maybe (assuming they're a segment that don't visit websites for your product as opposed to not using the web at all).

Brand advertising is hugely expensive and not particularly trackable, which is why it tends to be the Nikes and Red Bulls of the world that do it. If I was forced to describe your logomark from memory I'd say "Head meets Starfleet".

By "poor design", I meant that I'm used to websites having a clear purpose that I can easily discern from their content. Good design guides the user through the content, bad design gets in the way of what they want to do or what you want them to do. I get that I'm probably not your target audience, being a cranky middle-aged fella with a tech background and a short attention span, but it all makes about as much sense to me as a TV ad for perfume.

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

#11 bedmal

bedmal
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 14:42

That's a tricky one. If you've done the research that suggests your market segment don't visit websites for your product I'd probably have put up the simplest of pages with company info and put those six months into something else - Youtube or TV ads, maybe (assuming they're a segment that don't visit websites for your product as opposed to not using the web at all).

Brand advertising is hugely expensive and not particularly trackable, which is why it tends to be the Nikes and Red Bulls of the world that do it. If I was forced to describe your logomark from memory I'd say "Head meets Starfleet".

By "poor design", I meant that I'm used to websites having a clear purpose that I can easily discern from their content. Good design guides the user through the content, bad design gets in the way of what they want to do or what you want them to do. I get that I'm probably not your target audience, being a cranky middle-aged fella with a tech background and a short attention span, but it all makes about as much sense to me as a TV ad for perfume.

Thanks again for the comprehensive feedback.

I'm sure you are our target market too, but this is not necessarily the strategy to pull you in personally. But I guess if you saw a friend, or friend of a friend, share something with the logo on, however tiny the memory, you'll remember it at the back of your brain if you see the mark again, even if you do not remember where from. That is all this concept is about. Utilising the free social media platform to spread the logo sideways.

Youtube ads etc as well as bill board and product specific ads are all planned too, as our budget for this type of advertising will be relatively large - but they are product ads not brand ads. Quite rightly customers do not go to websites, not the web in general. But the product needs to go to them, the products are rarely searched for. Hence the website becomes relatively obsolete.

Whilst the products have been in the lab, we've been planning different ways to ensure all free ad types are exploited too and trying to do things differently. We have designed simple product pages for the few users that will visit for product info, but if the web can possibly we utilised to further the brand awareness, why not? Relatively speaking, it hasn't been expensive to produce. I hope it will aide our first ad campaigns and many people have engaged already even without awareness, so even in a small way, if if promotes the logo, it is a success for the brand.. 

The current site for my first business www.bedmal-green.co.uk of course was a simple design along the lines you suggest (although 6 or so years old now) and was very successful at pulling customers in, similarly I built a site for another business copa66.com (sold now) but that was very user friendly.

But I have done a lot of research over 5 years to ensure we understand the market for FLUX and it is a very different market. Your point about perfume ads is very relevant and in many senses a compliment. As this is the same technique, playing ambiguity to cement a brand name or image to an association. Not product quality or use.

Quite aware Flux needs a lot of tweaks however and thanks for your tweak suggestions as they we're very much along the lines of my own thoughts. 

Thanks

Luke

#12 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Overlord
  • Code Poet
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 15:09

The current site for my first business www.bedmal-green.co.uk of course was a simple design along the lines you suggest (although 6 or so years old now) and was very successful at pulling customers in

That's a site I can get behind. Selling a visual service by leading with nice big hero images and relatively plain copy ending in a concrete benefit to the customer's wallet. I'd tweak the typography slightly (14px/1.5 is a good baseline for Arial/Helvetica) and add a call to action button that opens the contact page, but those are minor tweaks.

#13 bedmal

bedmal
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:56

That's a site I can get behind. Selling a visual service by leading with nice big hero images and relatively plain copy ending in a concrete benefit to the customer's wallet. I'd tweak the typography slightly (14px/1.5 is a good baseline for Arial/Helvetica) and add a call to action button that opens the contact page, but those are minor tweaks.

Yes I'm sure we could improve it again now, but it is not a priority for me anymore, my concentration is on other larger projects now. It was more to display to you that I get the importance of understanding the market 

#14 novage888

novage888
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:02

Very creative website with high development skill. 

But it is very slow to be opened.

I am a web designer from Singapore. UX + Web design + SEO = Success Business

#15 Hellsing

Hellsing
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 15:20

Looks pretty good to me. I like the minimal feel of it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: webgl, babylon, animation, branding, logo, html, web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users