link building

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 adman_9000

adman_9000
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 17:58

Hi all,

I've been told recently that it's not a good idea to do the traditional footer link on every page of your clients websites, or if you do to make it a nofollow as Google considers those links to be unnatural. Does anyone know how likely this is to be a problem and if it is, is it worth going through all our existing clients sites to change those links?

Thanks

Adam

#2 ReeceyC

ReeceyC
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 23:05

Hi Adam,

I heard this too and went through all my sites, removing the footer links. My site then took a small dive in Google and has stayed there since. My competitors seem to have kept footer links on the sites they built, so I've now decided to put the links back, but with different link text for each one and linking to different pages of my site.

It could be site-wide links that are the problem, something that's often an issue with WordPress sites and it's possible the hosting has an effect; if all the sites are hosted on the same service, then it might be viewed as a link network?!

Who knows if it will make a difference, but languishing around on page 4 and 5 isn't doing any good anyway and I can always remove the links again if the site falls any further and if it recovers slightly, I will have answered that question for myself at least! :)

#3 adman_9000

adman_9000
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 15:20

I've tried a few different things now. Most recently I've heard that the recommended way is to have a 'Who built this site' link in the footer which points to a page on the clients website all about you, and that then links to your site. But I feel a lot of clients wouldn't really go for that.

#4 ReeceyC

ReeceyC
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 16:28

Hmmm, like a bio page for the web designer lol. I can't imagine that going down so well, but depends on the client I guess. Maybe a mix and match approach would work.

I think I might have to change mine back to just the "brand name", going by what I'm reading... and use a child theme to create a footer link on the homepage only (when using WordPress), instead of it being site-wide. But child themes are recommended anyway, so not such a big deal.

Interesting experiment I found here, although it was carried out in 2015, so things might be different now.

The official word from Google seemed to be that the algorithm can cope and just treats it as one link, but spammy links might be picked up manually: https://youtu.be/mTjN9x-by-I

Edited by ReeceyC, 03 July 2017 - 16:33.

#5 StephanieM

StephanieM
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 19:21

Let’s draw an analogy: when you have someone build a house for you, what would you say if they’d say: “oh and btw, we’ll leave a banner up on your roof”, or to make the analogy better, when they said nothing at all and just did it? Websites with spammy footer links became really bad a couple of years ago when many web designers started putting up free web design templates. If you’re using a WordPress theme or free template that has one of these footer links, and you’ve gotten it for free, I’d leave it there, because that’s how you “pay” the designer / developer. 

#6 Spinoza

Spinoza
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 17:23

I no longer add a footer link to my client sites although that's because it's considered a bit naff, akin to all those "Web Builder's Federation" type badges we used to see on web designer sites.

That said, I haven't bothered removing the footer links from sites I previously built. Google is smart enough and will be able to deduce that a site-wide footer link is just that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: link building

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users