• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 historygirllfc

historygirllfc
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:56

I currently have it setup as a dual boot with Windows 10 but I'd like to do a fresh install with increased storage. But before I attempt anything Is this an easy process and has anyone ever done this?

YNWA

#2 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Global Mod
  • Code Poet
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:43

Easy enough, but you don't need to reinstall if all you're looking to do is extend and shrink partitions - you can do that by booting from a liveCD or liveUSB and running gparted.

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

Need a blank theme for a WordPress project? Check out Tabula Rasa. Was this post helpful? Buy me a beer.

#3 historygirllfc

historygirllfc
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:02

I did have a google and read a bit about doing that, but wasn't 100% sure which partition was the correct one.

With regards to removing whats the best way would I need to boot into windows and remove the relevant partitions?

YNWA

#4 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Global Mod
  • Code Poet
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:11

You're much better off making a note of which partition is what from the Linux side, because it can read NTFS partitions whereas Windows can't read ext4.

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

Need a blank theme for a WordPress project? Check out Tabula Rasa. Was this post helpful? Buy me a beer.

#5 historygirllfc

historygirllfc
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 17:40

Ok good point I made a note of partitions shown on gparted. Booted into live cd tried to decrease main nfts size but then it leaves unallocated space and I'm not how I add that extended partition as it won't let me create a new partition.

YNWA

#6 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Global Mod
  • Code Poet
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:08

If a partition is adjacent to the unallocated space you should be able to just drag the edge to resize it. If there's something in the way (eg swap like this) you can move the offending item to the far side of the unallocated space then extend as above.

#7 historygirllfc

historygirllfc
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:00

Thanks for the reply but that link doesn't work... I think I get what you're saying but without a visual I'm struggling to fully understand it.

YNWA

#8 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Global Mod
  • Code Poet
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:43

Ugh, sorry. My bad for hotlinking. I think this was the page.

#9 historygirllfc

historygirllfc
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 616 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 20:44

Cool thanks

YNWA

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux, os install

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users