CMS SaaS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MockTurtle

MockTurtle
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 20:33

Hi,

I have a bit of a CMS-type issue and I as this is not in the least my forte I was wondering if somebody on here could offer me some advice! 

Basically, I work for an online manufacturing magazine and we need to completely relaunch our website so we are looking for a CMS platform to use. Now, my MD is a total tool: he has been told by various reliable sources that Metro Publisher has everything we need (is compatible with analytics, MailChimp, client database systems etc., has data back-up, is easy to use and so on) and I think it seems great for our purposes too. But today he's had a massive hissy fit about going with it and demand I come up with some alternatives (even though, as I say, this really isn't my area - I'm an editor). My question is: can anybody recommend some good CMS, SaaS platforms that offer all the above, are in the same price range or cheaper, can serve the UK with accessible support and would be good for magazine publishing. 

I know that sounds a bit garbled and there's a lot to chew on but any help would be greatly appreciated or I may end up having to spit in his coffee (or worse) next week.

Thank you very much in advance!

#2 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Overlord
  • Code Poet
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:11

Is SaaS a hard requirement? It rules out a lot of options including what's probably the best CMS platform for your use case: WordPress. It works for TechCrunch, Bloomberg, BBC America, Variety, Sony Music, MTV News, Time, Disney, the New York Times... I could list outlets all day, but you get the gist. The problem with SaaS is it locks your content into a third-party platform. It's your content - the lifeblood of your business - and it should be in your ownership and control, not held hostage by a proprietary platform.

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

Was this post helpful? Buy me a beer.

#3 MockTurtle

MockTurtle
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:15

Hi, thank you so much for getting back to me!

Actually, I don't see why the SaaS is a major requirement (as I say, this is all fairly new to me!). I know a lot of places use WordPress so that's definitely worth exploring (or I've heard a lot about Squarespace too?). Basically, as we're a media business with online advertising we'd need the facility to track the performance of our ads in terms of impressions etc, as well as tracking press releases and any newsletter mail-outs we send. If WordPress is able to incorporate all that then it's definitely worth considering. Do you know if that costs extra though? (I know Google Analytics is free).

Sorry for the questions and my ignorance, I expect you're busy!

#4 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Overlord
  • Code Poet
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 16:02

Squarespace is another place where you're limited by your content living on a third party platform. It's good for easily publishing simple sites, but saomething content-heavy like a magazine would benefit more from a custom install of WordPress.

There are free plugins covering a lot of things - I'd recommend Edit Flow to improve the publishing process on a magazine site, for example. As far as advertising goes, performance can normally be tracked through the platform. Who's supplying your ads? They may already have a WP plugin which can insert and rotate ads. If not, there might be a generic one, or the advantage of running from your own WordPress install is you can always add custom code for your specific requirements.

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

Was this post helpful? Buy me a beer.

#5 AlbertDavid

AlbertDavid
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:05

WordPress is something you can always try. Easy to use, has many plugins to supports all your needs and the cost range is less too comparatively. Some might think about the issues in security, but there are plugins which help with that too. Some say plugins increase the load time, but there are ways for reducing it too. The best part about all this is there are lots of sources on the internet to help you with all this and it's easy to find someone who can help you with WP. So go for it.

Edited by AlbertDavid, 11 June 2019 - 05:05.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CMS, SaaS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users