Hundreds of Jquery and JS errors in Dreamweaver

javascript jquery bootstrap dreamweaver

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ellie947

Ellie947
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:47

I'm very much still learning web development and I am completely stumped. I use Dreamweaver and my current project is in Bootstrap.

Suddenly, the JQuery library and bootstrap.js are FULL of errors. I have not so much as touched either file or edited them in anyway.

Some example errors include these from jquery:

"Expected '===' and instead saw '=='"

"Expected '{' and instead saw 'throw'"

"Missing a semi-colon"

And these from JS:

"'$' is defined but never used"

"Misleading line break before '+'; readers may interpret this as an expression boundary"

"Expected '}' to match '{' from line 38 and instead saw ';'"

I've attached some screengrabs.

There are hundreds of these errors. I contacted Adobe who explicitly told me the following:

"We want to inform you that errors are not due to Dreamweaver. Files mentioned by you are the files created by bootstrap development team. If you go to https://getbootstrap...etting-started/ and download bootstraps files for 3.3.7 you will find the same errors in there. We would request you to contact bootstrap development team regarding the same as it is not associated with Dreamweaver."

Before I go down the next wormhole, I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this problem? How did you fix it? I'm still learning and am feeling very confused by what to do next, some advice from someone experienced would be most welcome.

Thanks

Attached Files

#2 DigitalSquid

DigitalSquid
  • Overlord
  • Squidministrator
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 13:25

Quite simply, you shouldn't be trying to fix it and should ignore the errors.

Both of the scripts (JQuery and Bootstrap) are 3rd party frameworks that aren't designed to be put through a JavaScript validation process like the one you're seeing in Dreamweaver. Generally, you should consider and treat them as external resources to your project that can be updated by the developers without it affecting your site or code. You shouldn't be looking to make changes/fixes to these files yourself.

To give you a brief rundown on why they're failing the validation:

• JQuery - this is a minified script. All the code has been reduced and compacted to the simplest and shortest version of what it can be. Anything that isn't actually needed to make the script work has been removed.
  • Bootstrap - this script requires JQuery to work. A lot of the variables and functions it uses are defined in the JQuery script, so if you try and validate it on it's own it will complain that various parts of it are missing.

More than happy to help for free but if you want to show some love back, either give me an up-vote or buy me a beer!

www.digitalsquid.net
@Digital_Squid

#3 Ellie947

Ellie947
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:41

I'm sorry but this still doesn't help me.

I have built a carousel and dropdown menu. These used to work just fine, but now they don't because when the JS is called the errors stop them from working correctly.

I have not made any changes to my code, the JS, jquery, or Bootstrap framework.

I literally logged into DW to carry on working one day to find that things that were working perfectly suddenly weren't and hundreds and hundreds of errors that had come from nowhere.

Multiple sources have told me to just ignore them but I can't because it's preventing everything from working properly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: javascript, jquery, bootstrap, dreamweaver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users