9 replies to this topic

#1 Gibson

Gibson
  • Hefty Member
  • Flogging Gibbo
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 19:25

Hope you're all keeping well.

The monitor I currently use is not quite big enough, and I find myself constantly having to press alt-tab to switch between code editor and browser.

Got a budget of, say, 250 quid, nothing that extravagant.

What's the kind of size of monitor I'm looking at to be able to comfortably sit code editor and browser side by side, in conjunction with browser-sync to not have to switch between the two?

Is 27 inch too small? Would I have to go up to, say a 32 inch?

I'm not too worried about hyper HD displays or anything, just something basic suitable for dev.

What kind of monitor would I be looking at? Just having a feel around for what kind of thing I need.

Any other comments about resolution etc are welcome,

Cheers.

#2 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Global Mod
  • Code Poet
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 19:39

What res is your current? Adding a second monitor for code is probably a better idea than going 2-up on the same screen, especially if you swivel it into portrait.

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

Need a blank theme for a WordPress project? Check out Tabula Rasa. Was this post helpful? Buy me a beer.

#3 Gibson

Gibson
  • Hefty Member
  • Flogging Gibbo
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 19:56

It's only an old 17 inch I'm using at the moment. Had a widescreen job that I was borrowing, but had to give it back, wasn't that big (23 inch or something?) hence why am looking at buying one.

Thing is, I don't have dual monitor capabilities on my machine, graphics is only inbuilt Intel graphics currently.

Are you suggesting that installing a dual monitor graphics card and buying say a 27 inch monitor in conjunction with my current old school one might be the answer? So using old school for code and 27 inch(?) for browser display?

What kind of graphics card would I be looking at just for basic use of dual monitors? Are the cheapo ones ok for the job? No gaming or anything like that.

#4 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Global Mod
  • Code Poet
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 20:05

I'm firmly of the belief that mo' monitors mo' betta. I literally just picked up an extra graphics card so I can plug in more of them (currently have 3).

If you have no interest in gaming multiple outputs can be had on Ebay for pretty damn cheap (same card I bought).

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

Need a blank theme for a WordPress project? Check out Tabula Rasa. Was this post helpful? Buy me a beer.

#5 Gibson

Gibson
  • Hefty Member
  • Flogging Gibbo
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 20:13

Ah ok, then. I looked up the resolution I'm currently running at and it's only 1280 x 1024 (old school monitor) and won't offer me any higher resolutions.

Do both monitors have to run at the same resolution?

So now I'm thinking pick up a cheap graphics card that will enable two monitors, then purchase, say a 27 inch job. Use the old school one for code editor and use the new one for browser. But will the differences in resolution be a problem?

Sorry about newb questions, never really got into the monitor thing.

Interestingly, this is my motherboard (currently without graphics card)

https://www.asus.com...erboards/B85MG/

And it does seem to have a section on running multiple monitors. I wonder if I got another monitor that used a HDMI etc output then I could do that? I think the one I'm using at the moment just uses a basic VGA output. Hmm...

Other specs on this machine for info : Windows 7 Home 64 bit.

#6 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Global Mod
  • Code Poet
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 20:25

Not sure on running multiples off onboard graphics, it's been generations since I've used onboard for anything. Resolution isn't an issue, they can all be whatever you like. My current setup is 1920x1200 in the middle and the outside ones are rotated into portrait at 1200 x 1600, I tend to code on one of those.

#7 Gibson

Gibson
  • Hefty Member
  • Flogging Gibbo
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 20:33

Not sure on running multiples off onboard graphics, it's been generations since I've used onboard for anything. Resolution isn't an issue, they can all be whatever you like. My current setup is 1920x1200 in the middle and the outside ones are rotated into portrait at 1200 x 1600, I tend to code on one of those.

Ah ok, cheers. So that gives me some takeaway info. I'm going to investigate running multiple monitors from this with onboard graphics, then if not, investigate a graphics card.

What I'm hoping is that as-is I can run dual monitors, or even three, as it seems to indicate on the Asus website, without having to get a graphics card.

Off to do some research, let you know how I get on, cheers for your help, man.

#8 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Global Mod
  • Code Poet
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 21:15

Took a look at the motherboard specs and it seems you're right, onboard can drive all the ports you have simultaneously.

Edit: as a user of assistive technology (they don't specify how often, so if you've ever used the on-screen keyboard to type something while cleaning out your keyboard you'd qualify) you could still get a free upgrade to Win10 here.

#9 Gibson

Gibson
  • Hefty Member
  • Flogging Gibbo
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 23:39

Took a look at the motherboard specs and it seems you're right, onboard can drive all the ports you have simultaneously.

FTW!

This affords me some flexibility. I guess maybe a basic but decent 27" might fall within my budget. Looks like I have choices 

Edit: as a user of assistive technology (they don't specify how often, so if you've ever used the on-screen keyboard to type something while cleaning out your keyboard you'd qualify) you could still get a free upgrade to Win10 here.

Yeah I knew about that, as it goes. I'm still kind of hesitant about it, getting on with Win7 fine. I do have a little netbook with Win10 on it though for IE Edge testing and so on. Nice to know this is still available though.

Are there any concrete reasons for upgrading, dev-wise? I know Docker is tricky on Win7 (I use VirtualBox) - but I must say I haven't encountered anything else that causes me problems on Win7 yet. How do you find 10?

#10 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Global Mod
  • Code Poet
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 00:31

It's nice and snappy. Some bloatware, but that can easily be removed. Most important thing though, is just having a more up to date baseline for pretty much everything. Support & security patches for 7 don't officially end until 2020 but you can bet the majority of attention from both MS and driver authors is going to go to the current OS.

Didn't take a whole lot of getting used to, majority of stuff is in the same place as 7 and the easiest way to get to most things is still hitting [Win] and starting to type.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users