• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Faramous

Faramous
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:57

Hello all,

I need some help. 

Got a client who moved to us a while back because they weren't satisfied with their old designers. The designers used their own custom CMS. It's extremely big for what it is and a little clunky (no disrespect to them, it's probably just that I don't have their expertise with it). We were asked to refurbish the website, so decided to migrate over to Wordpress. The V2 site is looking great and works well, but I'm concerned that when we switch over to the new site, they'll take some SEO impact. Really not sure. Still studying the SEO side of things.

The URL for the site will be the same. We'll literally just replace the existing site with the new one. Will that have a negative impact? For example, their company name currently ranks 1 in Google and they are present in the map pack for some of their top keywords. They really don't want to lose that.

Regards,

Faramous 

Edited by Faramous, 09 February 2018 - 12:07.

#2 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:09   Best Answer

If the name stays the same and the content stays the same, then the only thing you need to worry about is if your structure is decent enough (i.e. are you using the correct layout of semantic tags, headings etc) and is the performance on par or better than the old site. I'd run a page speed test and lighthouse. Test on both the old site, and the new site, and check the performance. Also run both through the W3C validator, if you can beat the old site in both of these tests, then you're 99% of the way there.

One thing to remember, and to relay to your client, the site will be unstable in the SERPs for a few weeks while it re-indexes and generally sorts itself out. This is no indication of its overall position, and pretty much unavoidable.

#3 Faramous

Faramous
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:15

If the name stays the same and the content stays the same, then the only thing you need to worry about is if your structure is decent enough (i.e. are you using the correct layout of semantic tags, headings etc) and is the performance on par or better than the old site. I'd run a page speed test and lighthouse. Test on both the old site, and the new site, and check the performance. Also run both through the W3C validator, if you can beat the old site in both of these tests, then you're 99% of the way there.

One thing to remember, and to relay to your client, the site will be unstable in the SERPs for a few weeks while it re-indexes and generally sorts itself out. This is no indication of its overall position, and pretty much unavoidable.

That's perfect, thank you. Just the kind of advice I was looking for. Your mention of indexing instantly gave clarity to what was nagging in the back of my mind as a problem.

I appreciate your help.

#4 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:19

That's perfect, thank you. Just the kind of advice I was looking for. Your mention of indexing instantly gave clarity to what was nagging in the back of my mind as a problem.

I appreciate your help.

Yeah, WordPress is actually pretty SEO friendly and if you look at the code of the previous site and the new site, you should be able to see which one is more semantic and less bloated.

Like i said though, make the client as aware as possible that the site will bounce around for a bit, or you'll spend the next few weeks fending off panicky client calls until it settles :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users