• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 historygirllfc

historygirllfc
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 629 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 14:18

I'm planning on hosting a couple of sites on digital ocean (when I've built them and read up on how DO works). I've dabbled a bit but for my personal site I just want something simpler. 

I probably should have/may have asked this before but when looking at hosting what is the difference between shared, reseller and dedicated hosting services? And does it matter which I go for?

YNWA

#2 DigitalSquid

DigitalSquid
  • Overlord
  • Squidministrator
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 15:04

Shared: You get a portion of a hosting server and it's resources (disk space, RAM, bandwidth, etc...). It's cheap and there are usually some restrictions in place to stop you breaking the server for everyone using it.

Dedicated: You get an entire server. to yourself There's usually two types of dedicated servers - managed and unmanaged. Managed ones are supported by the web host and usually have some restrictions and pre-installed software (like CPanel or Plesk) to help you setup and control the server. Unmanaged have no restrictions and you're free to do what you want with them (within reason).

Reseller: These are usually managed dedicated servers. The general principle behind them is for you to be an affiliate for the hosting company and sell hosting to other customers. Essentially, you'll be using the server to sell shared hosting.

It's your choice which one you go for but the number one rule with hosting is that you get what you pay for. Cheap hosting is usually unreliable and badly supported.

DigitalOcean sell a type of unmanaged dedicated hosting. You'll get a very flexible and reliable server but it will have nothing on it (just an OS) and you will have to install everything through SSH and command-line interfaces (CLI). They do have an extensive range of tutorials on how to install and run pretty much everything on their servers but I wouldn't recommend it if you're not comfortable with using CLI to access a server. You can use a service like ServerPilot (https://serverpilot.io/) to make the initial process easier as it will automate install the essential config for a webserver (eg: LAMP stacks)

More than happy to help for free but if you want to show some love back, either give me an up-vote or buy me a beer!

www.digitalsquid.net
@Digital_Squid

#3 historygirllfc

historygirllfc
  • Hefty Member
  • Advanced Member
  • 629 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 20:58

Thanks for the info DS. I've used the CLI a bit with DO their docs are very good so getting more comfortable with that side of things. 

YNWA

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hosting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users