.London Domains - £4
Photo

In your country, what language do you need to be web designer ?

JavaScript JS php Wordpress HTML CSS Web designer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rookie

rookie
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:09

I’m very curious about this topic cause the definition of web designer is different from country to country, for example some countries define a web designer as a person who knows design and programing (Javascript and php etc).

I wanna know where you are from and which language you need to be web designer like the following.

Country   :  Japan

Language:   HTML,CSS,*JavaScript, *wordpress 

*As to JavaScript, you don’t have to know everything about it but at least how it works. 

Plus you basically just need to know how to customize jQuery.

I also really wanna know to what extent I should learn JS or php if I need to learn them as web designer in some countries.

Thanks in advance for your help ! 

#2 johnfotios

johnfotios
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 14:54

I work with a few local agencies here in the UK, and when they quote for a new job, the 'design' phase is only the visual stuff, Photoshop, Illustrator etc, and only once those are confirmed it moves on to 'development' phase - which is html, css, js, php, putting on to WordPress or whatever.

But the designers are only ever referred to as designers or graphic designers (not web designers), and the people who actually build the sites are just called 'developers'.

We mostly make sites for small-medium businesses, either brochure or ecommerce, so it's 99% front-end development work. I think depending on the type of web work you're doing, people may use the terms differently.

Language: Essential: HTML, CSS   Need to know the basics: Javascript, PHP, WordPress   Probably assumed you know: Photoshop, Illustrator

Edited by johnfotios, 30 March 2018 - 14:56.

John Fotios | Indever | Hoj

My little bit of web design... http://www.indever.co.uk

#3 rookie

rookie
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 15:24

Thank you very much for your informative advice.

I'm planning to move to UK within this 2 years so its very helpful !

Can you give me the definition or example of basics in this context ?

Do you think being able to develop the original theme by Wordpress means understanding basics of php ?

I also wanna know what extent I have to master JavaScript.

Basic of JavaScript and php is not clear and make me confused often.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: JavaScript, JS, php, Wordpress, HTML, CSS, Web designer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users