Website Design content Marketing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sam2951

sam2951
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:35

Hi all, (HELP PLEASE!!!)

I'm struggling to design websites because I'm expected by my boss to create unique designs with:
  • No content
  • No images
  • Often no logo
  • No real understanding of who the end user is, 
  • No knowledge of what the primary goal for the website is

So my questions are: 
Q1 - Is this standard practice for a website design company to design fully finished looking websites with no content and all the above.?

Q2  - What can I do to smash out lovely unique designs quickly with no content and all the above.?  

Thank you for your time.

P.S.
In my spare time, I'm learning strategic planning, marketing, content marketing, branding, UX and SEO. I have quickly realised that there is no point trying to encourage my company to take this on because they don't know no the first thing about any of it.

Edited by sam2951, 03 April 2018 - 09:39.

#2 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Global Mod
  • Code Poet
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:24

Q1 - pretty common in bottom-feeding shops that don't care about the quality of work they're turning out and/or management that doesn't understand the design process.

Q2 - Practice by designing CMS themes. WordPress is a good place to start. You'll never know who's going to be using the theme or what the content is going to be, so you need to cover every eventuality.

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

Need a blank theme for a WordPress project? Check out Tabula Rasa. Was this post helpful? Buy me a beer.

#3 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop
  • Overlord
  • Mini Member
  • 4,672 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 14:33

Q2 - Practice by designing CMS themes. WordPress is a good place to start. You'll never know who's going to be using the theme or what the content is going to be, so you need to cover every eventuality.

Which is exactly why I always advise people never to buy commercial templates :)

RD is right above though, it's pretty common place for the lowest common denominator dev houses to run like this. I get a lot of work through from even larger agencies that do this too. The truth is, you'll never get your best work out there because you always need a purpose to design, and you're not being given it.

#4 Spinoza

Spinoza
  • Supporter+
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:39

Often clients would come to me with no content, no photos, a logo they created themselves, and expect me to create a great website for them. It's important to stress to them that these other elements need to be right and therefore they should invest in them too. Invariably the ones who ignored this advice ended up with poorly-performing websites.

Go on, take pity on me and follow @Stevopolis

#5 shutdown321

shutdown321
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:28

I would say that everything goes together hand in hand. Content is very important since is the thing that keeps your visitors coming back.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Website Design, content, Marketing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users