.London Domains - £4
Photo

Convincing clients to pay subscription for fonts (e.g. TypeKit)

fonts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Spinoza

Spinoza
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 16:15

Does anyone here use TypeKit on client projects?

I don't have a CC subscription so I don't get it for free.

Until now I've either used Google Fonts or just embedded font files on client sites c/o places like FontSquirrel. The thing is, there are some really nice fonts I'd like to use that aren't available from those place. E.g. Sofia Pro or Avenir - Google Fonts doesn't have anything sufficiently similar to them.

I'd prefer not to own the TypeKit account myself - I'd rather I got my client to set it up and it was billed to them. That's because if for whatever reason I can't continue with the subscription or something else happens, I don't want all my client sites to suddenly switch to arial.

So anyway, with subscription-based font libraries like TypeKit, how do you convince a client that paying a monthly/yearly subscriptiption for a font is worth it? Do you tell them up front that they should budget X amount for fonts? Or do you produce the design and say 'if you want this font, it'll cost you'?

#2 Renaissance-Design

Renaissance-Design
  • Global Mod
  • Code Poet
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 16:40

Easy enough if they have an existing brand identity that includes that particular typeface. When you're starting from scratch it helps if any brands they admire license fonts in the same way.

Chris Cox is a freelance web designer & developer based in Bridgend, South Wales. You should definitely follow @RenaissDesign on Twitter.

Was this post helpful? Buy me a beer.

#3 Spinoza

Spinoza
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 17:25

Easy enough if they have an existing brand identity that includes that particular typeface. When you're starting from scratch it helps if any brands they admire license fonts in the same way.

Yes, I'll be creating the brand from scratch. Citing brands they admire is a good idea. Looking around, I'm tempted to go down the FontSpring route of embedding font files in the CSS for a one-off payment. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fonts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users