• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Dexter

Jason Dexter
  • Mod
  • Advanced Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:48

Every man and his SEO team have released tools at some point but it's pretty difficult to decide which ones are the most useful.

Here's a list of online tools that I use:

Open Site Explorer - Great for getting rich and valuable information about a domain. They provide information about where the links are coming from, their anchor text, how diverse they are and a bunch of other cool stuff.

SEOGadget - A great way of quickly looking at backlinks pointing to a website and providing you with a quick overview of which links should be removed. It's great to get a good understanding of backlinks and what to look out for.

Serpfox - SEOMoz provides a great rank tracker, but I find serpfox to be so much easier to track rankings and they update daily so you get a more up to date feedback. They also check rankings of up to 500 places. Your site is useless down there but it helps to gain a greater understand of where you rank and if you actually rank. Easy to quickly look at how well a website is doing as well.

Ahrefs - Another backlink checking tool. However, this one claims to update their index every 30 minutes. They constantly crawl the internet and that explains why their premium accounts are pretty expensive but the free accounts are useful enough. They show when backlinks have dropped, when new ones have been added, where they're from etc etc. The interface isn't as great as OSE but it's a useful tool to have a quick insight into what's happening.

Linkstant- This a new addition to the tools and something I've just set up on my own blog. Much like Ahrefs in terms of speed of link discovery, this one actually sends you an email when new links are found pointing to your website. Completely free, easy t set up. It took me two minutes to get things running. You can actually have an SMS sent as soon as a new link is found pointing to your website. It might not be as deep and thorough as Ahrefs but it sure as hell keeps you motivated to get those links! Also, unlike Ahrefs, you don't run out of credits.

Link Detective - A great tool for anyone that is serious about beating competitors. Basically, download a CSV from Open Site Explorer and throw it into the system. It will then tell you the websites makeup of links; directory, sitewide, blog comments, forums and so on. It also tells you the anchor text percentage as well. So if your website has been hit by a penalty on Google, run it through this. Any anchor text, that isn't you brand or naked URL, that is over 20% needs fixing. Diversify your links! It also tells you which links are dead, too.

These two tools require you sign up to SEOMoz. You can take a free 30 day trial which can be cancelled at any time, so give them a try!

SEOMoz Keyword Difficulty - If you're looking into a keyword and need to decide how difficult it is, then this is a great tool. They provide a percentage of difficulty for the keyword along with visitor numbers for this keyword. This information is found within Adwords keyword tool, but it provides a much easier way of determining just how difficult a keyword is. It's also an excellent way of comparing keyword difficulty and it's easy to then delve even deeper and find out which websites rank for a particular keyword.

SEOMoz On-page SEO - SEOmoz provides a great tool here. Enter your keyword and web page you're looking to rank and it will give you a run down and a grade of how well the website is optimised. They tell you if you need to add more keywords into the document, whether the title tags need tweaking and so on.

Edited by Jason Dexter, 28 November 2012 - 11:23.
Added Linkstant, Link Detective - 28/11/2012

#2 theboss

theboss
  • Supporter+
  • Standard Member
  • 460 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 14:36

Jason, is this a comprehensive list of tools you use, or have you left your secret weapons out?

#3 Lewwy

Lewwy
  • Global Mod
  • Mr. T
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 14:52

I do alright for SEO usually and I use a few of these tools already, but some of them I've never heard of, so +1 for the info!

SEO really is becoming a beast.

#4 theboss

theboss
  • Supporter+
  • Standard Member
  • 460 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 15:01

Has anybody used Raven Tools out of interest?

#5 MMedia

MMedia
  • Supporter+
  • Advanced Member
  • 985 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 15:48

Yeah, I did a trial alongside SEOmoz, very similar sort of thing. Really comes down to which you prefer working with I guess.

Best advice is to just trial it and see yourself, you might prefer it!

Ahrefs gets my vote, super fast updating, comprehensive and when it comes to freshness beats my paid for tools such as SEO Spyglass.

Midas Media Full Service Design Agency | Midas Click - Digital Marketing Experts | Facebook | Twitter @Midas_UK | Google+

#6 Jason Dexter

Jason Dexter
  • Mod
  • Advanced Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 16:08

Jason, is this a comprehensive list of tools you use, or have you left your secret weapons out?

They're pretty much everything that I use. Theres a few others that are currently on a trial at the minute so they might be added.

I use some more than others. Serpfox and Ahrefs are something I use on a daily basis. SEOMoz I use 2-3 times a week (once a campaign is set up, it's easy to jump in and out of it and let it run). The others are more for analysis, really.
Raven Tools ranking stuff has been forced to close by Google, but personally never used it before.

#7 Wayne of the Web

Wayne of the Web
  • Supporter+
  • Standard Member
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 21:45

Nice list. I'm currently looking for as many free tools as possible at the moment till I can justify paying for the top tools. So some useful help there. 

wdf.png   Refreshing Web Design & Marketing Services from Function 5             follow us @fun5ive

#8 Jheg

Jheg
  • Overlord
  • Mandard Stember
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 23:32

No I haven't was going to run off and check it out until....

Raven Tools ranking stuff has been forced to close by Google, but personally never used it before

http://searchenginew...k-Tracking-Tool

Some interesting theories as to whats on Googles agenda at the moment with regard data scraping.

Learning Ruby http://jheg.github.io/

ToDo App - www.gottodo.co.uk

#9 Drumsilia

Drumsilia
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 17:12

nibbler.silktide.com is a good Website-check tool...

#10 InternetMarketingPlatinum

InternetMarketingPlatinum
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:29

SEO Powersuite, IBP and, the ultimate, Link Research Tools.

#11 neilowen

neilowen
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:38

Hi Jason,

I see you have Ahrefs. But do you ever use www.majesticseo.com ? They seem quite good as well

Join the Professional Web Design Directory today!

The highest ranked design directory in the UK (PR5)

#12 Jason Dexter

Jason Dexter
  • Mod
  • Advanced Member
  • 777 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:43

I haven't updated this in a while, but I'm starting to use Majestic SEO a little more now. It seems much more accurate than Open Site Explorer (PA/DA is easily manipulated). Great bit of kit.

#13 tattersalls

tattersalls
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:03

Nice list Jason but I'm stunned that the fundamentals like Webmaster Tools and Analytics have been left out

#14 brightonmike

brightonmike
  • Global Mod
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:15

Nice list Jason but I'm stunned that the fundamentals like Webmaster Tools and Analytics have been left out

I think he's showing us tools that many people might not already know about. Most people already know to use WMT and Analytics.

Analytics isn't fundamental anyway, there's other more powerful alternatives.

http://michaelgunner.co.uk/

Awesome free web meet up in Surrey: http://418conf.co.uk/

#15 tattersalls

tattersalls
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:47

I think he's showing us tools that many people might not already know about. Most people already know to use WMT and Analytics.

Analytics isn't fundamental anyway, there's other more powerful alternatives.

Out of interest what alternative tools to Analytics are people using?

#16 brightonmike

brightonmike
  • Global Mod
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:05

Out of interest what alternative tools to Analytics are people using?

SiteCatalyst, web trends, woopra....there's a lot.

http://michaelgunner.co.uk/

Awesome free web meet up in Surrey: http://418conf.co.uk/

#17 NickJemis

NickJemis
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:44

I used to work with OpenSitexplorer, but it can't be compared with ahrefs in update speed. Ahrefs is the best, yes, it's paid, but it is worth every cent of it. Thanks for the article, I've been searching for some new free tools and there are plenty of them. Cool thread.

#18 Danny_Seo

Danny_Seo
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:16

Set your budget to purchase the expired domains. Manage your money strategy with the PBN premium tool.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: seo, search engine optimisation, SEOMoz, seo tools

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users